Sundown Audio

Running my amp at lower impedance than it's meant for?

chrisw.

How about we forget about the clamp test BS and examine this example of the way new comers are treated. Go back and reread the thread and ask yourself if I deserved the treatment I got. By a moderator no less. You can say I was argumentative all you want but you can't quote any examples. You all don't seem to mind. Something is wrong with that. But I won't judge the entire board by the actions of a few.

first off I get an opinion just like everyone else. Just because I have moderator next to my name doesnt mean I have to be a warm and fuzzy person like I popped off the pages of a self help book. My issue was wtih you coming in here claiming outrageous numbers out of an amp that is not capable of doing it because you were not testing it correctly. What happens then is it starts to spread. People start spreading rumors about how much power they can do and how its ok to run the amp way below rated impedence and next thing you know its all over the place. See the 45s in the corner of boxes and all the other stuff that have become internet legend. So while I am here to keep the peace so to speak, I am also here to keep misinformation from coming part of the I saw it on the internet it has to be true information. I don't know you to not like you so its not personal. I just don't want to see someone read this thread and think its ok to try that with their amps expecting huge power out of it to watch it turn into a sparkler.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Like I said I went back and read the early comments. N8 wasn't a dick in early comments. He had experience with the old school MTX and knew from experience how they acted. He told you his opinion of how that like to blow, when they blow. He also let you know that the thermal protection in the old amps isn't as consistent and will sometimes allow the amp to cook before protecting.

You honestly don't see how your response of saying "your guess is wrong" could come off as abrasive? You came on to this forum looking for opinions, on the internet, about running an amp that is old as hell(parts do wear out over time just by sitting) at an impedance that wasn't safe the day the amp was new, and is far less safe with the age of the amp now. You got an answer from more than one member starting their opinions, and personal experience with the brand and similar amps. You got an answer from a mod who had run similar equipment.

If you think that was N8 being a dick, you don't know him. He was in nice guy mode with any response he gave you. I'm not defending him, I'm stating a fact.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Well it's all there in black in white for anyone to interpret. I've been mildly into car audio since the mid 90's but I don't have experience in the specific topic of this thread. Does that make me a n00b? I guess to some of you it does. And N8, I can tell you possess the knowlage and experience to be helpful. But carful tact and wording could really help you come off better. Don't assume every body is and idiot newb and treat them as such. I am open to hearing and learning about how the test I did is inacurrate without having to be berated. That where things got fucked up.

Still Living in the 90's

MTX Thunder 2300x

MTX Thunder 2150x

MTX Thunder 275x

MTX Thunder 1500dx <---still searching

You're right. Nothing wrong with being a beginner. Let's substitute noob for idiot kid. I was talked at and generally treated like and idot kid. And that's fine. You, N8 and anyone else can came come off as shitty as they want. I'm just saying don't be suprised if you get pushback by some one who feels like standing up for themselves.

Still Living in the 90's

MTX Thunder 2300x

MTX Thunder 2150x

MTX Thunder 275x

MTX Thunder 1500dx <---still searching

here ill try and make it simple. You asked these questions:

-Is this giving me a faulse sense of security?

-If it were under strain would I know it? Would it be obvious?

-Are there amps out there that run lower than recomended all day with no problem?

-If I do fry it by doing this, will it be repairable?

those questions to us put up a warning sign for us because we know right away you dont exactly know what youre doing. there may have been some responses that sounded like ass responses but we would rather tell you the consequences of what could happen and have you avoid them. We would hate to see your amp or equipment light fire or just get ruined.

We would much rather have you be safe then sorry.

plus what if we said sure run it at 2 ohms all the time its fine?

When it fries or ruins something you would come crying to us and saying we gave you bad information and i just wouldn't want to deal with you.

Do it right the first time or dont do it all. We arent singling you out and making fun of you for being the new guy. We will help as long as you listen and act responsibly and dont attack us when we tell you something you dont like to hear.

Im still a new guy even and i never have problems.

I don't mind the pushback. I didn't even think I was being shitty but oh well.I will say that you did handle the attacks way better than most. You should be able to fit in here IMO. I just fuck with people that claim not to be noob and then ask questions or for help. I see no reason in announcing you are not a noob, especially if you are asking for help.

Archived