Sundown Audio

Running my amp at lower impedance than it's meant for?

chrisw.

Actually this is a friendly place but when you come in and say I'm not a noob and then ask noob questions and make some pretty bold statements and basically argue about anything that doesn't fit what you want to hear you aren't doing yourself any favors. I'd really like to hear more about how you got triple the wattage out of an amp though. I'm not even sure if a scope would register the amount of clipping or if it would just look a flat line.

Am I arguing?

As far as triple the wattage goes if you know anything about the 90's era mtx amps they're underrated by about 30%. My old 2300 ways rated at 600w @ 4ohms but did over 900w @ 4ohms. This 2150x is rated @ 300w but does over 500w @ 4ohms. I don't thinks it's that unbelievable that an amp that does 500w + rms @ 4ohms can't do close to 1kw @ 2ohms (if it doesn't fry first)

Still Living in the 90's

MTX Thunder 2300x

MTX Thunder 2150x

MTX Thunder 275x

MTX Thunder 1500dx <---still searching

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know about them they aren't that underrated

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

When you clamp rested your amp, you didn't find out the wattage you may have found VA, but VA is not a true gauge of wattage. An AD-1 or new AMM-1 from D'Amore would be the accurate ways of finding out true wattage. Clamp tests are inaccurate, period.

To address your initial question and concerns. You want to run the amp below rated suggested impedance, fine. Just assume the risk and don't be surprised when and if it blows or catches on fire. When you start equipment past its design limitations, just be willing to accept the outcome.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Tell me something. What's it fused at? I don't give a shit about your clamp test to be honest I know what these amps do.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I see where this is going... Pile on the guy with the low post count with the noob question and I'm not interested in arguing. I already posted on this thread that I realize it may be a bad ideas and that I may look for another amp.

As far as thunder amps of the 90's being underrated, they are.

This this the 2300 (2x300w) on the dyno. My amp is the little brother, the 2150 (2x150w) you can make up your own minds.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BA6ebrxJ8

Still Living in the 90's

MTX Thunder 2300x

MTX Thunder 2150x

MTX Thunder 275x

MTX Thunder 1500dx <---still searching

I see where this is going... Pile on the guy with the low post count with the noob question and I'm not interested in arguing. I already posted on this thread that I realize it may be a bad ideas and that I may look for another amp.

As far as thunder amps of the 90's being underrated, they are.

This this the 2300 (2x300w) on the dyno. My amp is the little brother, the 2150 (2x150w) you can make up your own minds.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BA6ebrxJ8

Lol!!!!!

I don't think it was a pile on the new guy thing. It was more of you asking a question, getting an answer, and then questioning the answer. If you didn't want the answer, don't ask the question. I believe you got what you wanted out of this thread though.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived