Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

First, sir, grab your panties and pull them out your rear...I'm not putting down this theory, only asking for some further insight from you.  You seem to know some of the advanced theory behind folded horns and 1/4 wave theory, this is why I am asking you.

If you are not familiar with waveguides then my question is pointless here.

there not, just Iam stuck at work, on sunday, watching the Bears game, and helping customers, no panties in bunches here. I personally understand horn theory, but I dont use it, personally. I stick to the standardtline design. TTB knows horn design good, not me. I just build, listen, then test, and use common designs that are proven, thats all. Instead of horn, I try and keep the line as straight, as possible, with the area constant

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Ok...after a great deal of searching, I have located an article on hexibase.com, from a guy that seems to be a very smart lad.  Here is what he said about the T-Line;

"Using the woofer's Sd as the cross-sectional area of a line is just a guideline that somebody came up with for lack of a better reference figure. It gets quite a bit more complex once you get into controlling velocity and coupling air mass vith various outward and inward tapers but, on the whole, I wouldn't give this form of a transmission line much credit beyond it's ease of design. The trouble with it is that though it's very efficient at the 180 deg. phase point, it suffers from a rater steep roll-off both above and below it's alignment due to the rapidly shifting phase. Still, it's a great toy box to try if you've got some wood laying around."  **source**http://www.hexibase.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=25

He is referring to the same theory as my comment about--the phase change within the t-line box.  I want to NOTE here that I think these are great sounding boxes, but with a little more thought, experimenting, and trial and error it can be even better.

This article is a good read and delves into the ideas of basic chokes to increase velocity.  Again, I am not shooting any ideas down...I'm just trying to bring some technical exploration to the forum! :tongue:

I read that forum, looks good. Choke is just where the line tapers from the throat where the woofer is, or at the end.  (choke equals taper from what that site says) And also, I wrote this "tutorial" as basic guidlines, not anything to be confused with "final word" on quarter wave design. Honestly there is probably 100 different ways to build a tline, as long as the quarter wave is right, you can experiment how ever you want. Thats how I started. I Personally Have done constant port area on tlines cuz it was so eat, but over the last 6 months-year, I started tapering from a smaller than SD area at beggining, to larger than SD area at opening. I have noticed it sounds better that way, thats how I did this box in this thread (not noted, but slightly visible) and the tline Iso Bandpass I have posted on another thread here on SMD, I did the same thing, started with a area of like 120" to a opening of 155/160" which I already tested to be Very loud, and accurate sounding. And that is somethin I had read somewhere else, tried it, liked it, and in a way, is kind of what you were asking about, but I did not know. I just knew, and heard that is a easy way to get a little gain from common tline design, and I liked it

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Well, I built a standard t-line from the directions, and the SQ and low bass characteristics were amazing.  It was for a 6.5" subwoofer, and it would hit mid 20hz range with no problems.  It would be absolutely amazing for someone who just wanted a little low bass fill and didn't need the volume associated with a 12" sub. 

The only thing that I did different was that I choked the corners a little, about 1/2" in, that's it.  I'm currently playing with a few designs, but I killed the EU700 I was using for testing.......oops.  The smallest amp I have is 320x1 undderated, and the rms on the EU700 is 200 watts, so I was trying to be careful, but oh well, it was only $45, I'll get another one.

I would surely like to do a 6.5" in a quarterwave tuned that low. Iam sure that was impressive. Why not copy that box design (looked nice BTW) And do a second one, and make them a tower pair. Throw in some tweets/mids maybe in  a second added enclosures on top, and run those off a home reciever

Those would make sweet towers

sundown.jpg

Archived