Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on my SPL 1000 build got it turned 20 Hz in the house with 1500 W on it it takes any movie to life at 125 dB with a relatively flat response I ended up placing the woofer at the one third wave Mark and tapered the line from start to finish at one point I tried to play 21 Hz test tone and I tried to rip the drywall off the walls

Correction the box incorporates and SPL 8000 pioneer 15 inch

I have also built 4 more t line boxes for the shop incorporating 15 inch Rockford Fosgate P ones The room that they are in is fairly large hence the reason for four of them plus it cancels out a lot of the frequencies of the room the system will hit 129 dB on anything that plays a very low on

Howdy guys, thought I'd share my adventures, and also would like to get some feedback on my 2nd design.

I have 4 Sundown X-8's. I've already built a test box using a single 8, based off of the calculations on dbdynamix dual fold off-axis t-line calculator. When I calculated the tuning frequency, I used the published Fs of the sub, which is like 46hz. Needless to say the box sounds like crap, there is a steep roll-off at 40, miss out on a lot of the lower end. The notes it does hit sound real good and are quite loud :)

I'm looking to make a second test box, this time from scratch on my own. I've read the various sites on t-line design and have decided to follow the steps outlined in this post. My goal is to make a tapered line 2:1 ratio, tuned to 30hz. I've never really designed a box from scratch before, but here is what I came up with. The outer dimensions of the box will be 40"L x 9.25"H x 11.5"w. The start of the line area will be 3"x10", the end will be 1.5"x10". It will be a dual fold, firing off axis as well. The sub will go on the top, and the opening will be out the side. By my calculations that will make a line at 116.5" long, 30hz is 115" (I think). Would anyone be able to tell me if my calculations are correct?

Most of my boxes except for the one at home are tuned to 30hz they play really low but they don't like the song base I love you because this song has subsonics will make the woofers clap out if those sundown's have a heavy cone you'll end up with a 1 note wonder unless you place the woofers one third the way down the line this helps cancel out some of the strong harmonics The tapering will also help with this your links for the line looks like it's for a straight line not a taper I hope this helps if you need anything else give me a call two10 480-8039

• 3 weeks later...

I built a T Line box for my 99 ext.cab Z71to fit under the back seat. It houses 1 15 sub dvc sub dual 4 ohm wired to a kicker Kx400.1 Yup only a 400 watt system.I know I don't compete with you guys by no means,but I only have 140 bucks tied up in the Sub and amp.My build is a test box only built out of 3/4 OSB only to test my tuning.I will build the permanent box with MDF.But anywaysback to my build 4.4 cubic foot T Line with a down firing sub under the back seat.Yup . The port is facing the back of passenger seat the sub is firing down behind driver seat..The box is tuned at 19hz.I have a P2 12 Fosgate in the box right now waiting on my 15 inch sub to arrive.I gotta say guys . I searched on the net and could not find a build like mine nowhere so everything was designed by me .I had no other build to go by...Please don't clown me to much but will lobe to hear you guys opinion thanks.

Archived