Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

I just tune to what you want. I know what has been said in this thread about tuning ot FS...but I can tell you that in my personal experience I was much happier tuning to what I wanted then the actual FS of the sub.

Agreed! However, the impression i get is that the optimum performance is around FS, however as a lot of T/S parameters published by manufacturers seem to be slightly off, I try and aim for around 5Hz more than the quoted FS.

However, we're not exactly limited for choice, and so one could first determine the required depth and then choose a sub accordingly, instead of just saying: Rockford or Kicker?

Does anyone have any information on a tapered line? I've got a 12" W7AE That is just too deep to fit a standard t-line, so I need to taper it down. I'm not finding much info that isn't way over my head though...

I use/have found the 2:1 ratio as outline in the; Transmission Line Design - Fundamentals (link below) to be a good formula.

http://surfandsound.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/transmission-line-design-fundamentals-including-diagrams/

Next step is to add flared ports for wider FS bands :)

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 3 months later...

None

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

• 3 weeks later...

I must have missed this info. But after finding the sq.in of port area needed, what size do u make the port opening?

And if im doing two 8s and having the subs on opposite ends on their own chambers and doing the port to exit in the middle, would that mean id have to double the port width after they merge/share port opening?

stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/105505-silvia-first-time-build-kenwood/

Assuming you're not tapering the t-line your port will be identical from beginning to end.

If you are doing two t-lines into one you will double the size of the line where they combine (add the lines together).

Hammerdown... 1%

• 4 weeks later...

This article has a lot of awesome info. I plan on building one for my dc 18 sooner or later. Since I have heard you are supposed to give lower power to woofers in t-lines would my level six be fine on a t2500 bdcp?

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

• 2 weeks later...

i was looking at running either a soundqubed hdc 3.0 10 or an ssa icon 10

HDC 3.0 10:

QMS: 6.999

QTS: 0.355

FS: 41 Hz

ICON 10:

QMS: 5.5

QTS: 0.38

FS: 31.1 Hz

which one would perform better?

im looking for linear responce and good sq

Car: 2000 Honda CRV

Battery: XS Power D5100R

Alternator: Stock 90A

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS

Front Speakers: Alpine Type S

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 628's

Wires: All Knu 4g. Soon to be 0g. Big 3 in 0g

Volt Meter: SMD VM-1

Amps: Rockford Fosgate T400-2, T1000-1bdCP

Subs: 2 SSA XCON 15's Sealed

Tint: Privacy glass + 5% in the back and 25% in fronts

i would go for the HDC.

Hammerdown... 1%

i would go for the HDC.

I realllllllyyy want to try soundqubed but as fas as I can see on the website they only make a d1. My t1000 does 1400watts At 2ohms and 800 at 4ohm. The hdc has an RMS of 1000w and reading this thread it mentioned its easier to blow a sub in a t-line

Think its still safe to run it?

The icon can be dual 2

Car: 2000 Honda CRV

Battery: XS Power D5100R

Alternator: Stock 90A

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS

Front Speakers: Alpine Type S

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 628's

Wires: All Knu 4g. Soon to be 0g. Big 3 in 0g

Volt Meter: SMD VM-1

Amps: Rockford Fosgate T400-2, T1000-1bdCP

Subs: 2 SSA XCON 15's Sealed