Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for T-line boxes we would prefer subs with Low ish QTS. cause we have a large piston of air trapped inside de box and it's going to Load the cone movement no mather what. if the Qts is too high the sub may not perform very well under huge loads. the FS will be lowered a bit cause the added mass on the cone too

Low Qts means a stronger motor force and vice-versa

stay at the 0.40 to 0.50 range if possible.

I am still leaning towards doing a reduced line area t line tuned in the lower to mid 20s. If I reduce the area by 35 or 40 percent I can make it work. Do you think I would be ok with this much reduction in area? It's still almost 230 inches....

You can reduce the area of the line, but it will come at a cost of reduced efficiency. You need to keep the mouth area the same to avoid vent noise. If you reduce the taper the line will probably have to lengthen to keep tuning the same. Its all a big balancing act and everything you change will have an effect.

As far as how to mount the subs on the line, you want the middle of each sub to be equal distance from the ideal mounting point (38.5" from the closed end in this case). So if you can't mount them side by side, you could mount one 6" or whatever in front of the ideal spot and the other 6" or whatever behind the ideal spot. As long the they are both equal. I didn't really explain that well, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

Is there a rule on how much you can reduce line area? I see a few designers say they do this but trying to figure out what the rule is, ex. is up to 20% acceptable?

I am still leaning towards doing a reduced line area t line tuned in the lower to mid 20s. If I reduce the area by 35 or 40 percent I can make it work. Do you think I would be ok with this much reduction in area? It's still almost 230 inches....

You can reduce the area of the line, but it will come at a cost of reduced efficiency. You need to keep the mouth area the same to avoid vent noise. If you reduce the taper the line will probably have to lengthen to keep tuning the same. Its all a big balancing act and everything you change will have an effect.

As far as how to mount the subs on the line, you want the middle of each sub to be equal distance from the ideal mounting point (38.5" from the closed end in this case). So if you can't mount them side by side, you could mount one 6" or whatever in front of the ideal spot and the other 6" or whatever behind the ideal spot. As long the they are both equal. I didn't really explain that well, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

Is there a rule on how much you can reduce line area? I see a few designers say they do this but trying to figure out what the rule is, ex. is up to 20% acceptable?

There is no rule like "20% is OK, but 21% will ruin output". Reducing line area costs you output, the more you reduce it the more it hurts output. Its up to you to decide how much you want to give up to save space.

The good news is you don't have to guess. You can simulate your box in Hornresp and it from that you can tell exactly how much you are giving up by reducing the area of the line.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

ok ive heard alot of good info on TL boxes and i want to know what they are used for? i assume they are used for SQL but im sure thats not the only thing, ive built alot of boxes, but never a TL, i would really like some help designing a TL box for a 12" sub... if anyone can help let me know. im going for SQL not SPL. i only plan to run about 500-600rms for the sub.

basicly im tring to figure out if i should do ported, sealed, 4th order, 6th or TL for SQL.

i will give more info on the sub stage upon request.

Can anyone help me with a quarter wave box design for (2) 15 inch vvxv2 dual 4 ohm subs. with a skar rp1500.1d running at1 ohm for my tahoe. i have 48 wide x 38 deep x 21 high to work with. My previous setup was a horn enclosure and hit very hard for 2 12s but the new setup is lacking in sound with the box skar designed. I like hard deep bass and just need help getting it back please

Can anyone help me with a quarter wave box design for (2) 15 inch vvxv2 dual 4 ohm subs. with a skar rp1500.1d running at1 ohm for my tahoe. i have 48 wide x 38 deep x 21 high to work with. My previous setup was a horn enclosure and hit very hard for 2 12s but the new setup is lacking in sound with the box skar designed. I like hard deep bass and just need help getting it back please

i dont think 2-15" in a 1/4 line are going to fit, that gonna need like 18 cubic feet of space, if not more

i dont think 2-15" in a 1/4 line are going to fit, that gonna need like 18 cubic feet of space, if not more

i have about 20 cubic feet.

Archived