Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me Sir, I heard that T-LINE enclosures are very accurate, but people don't use them because they reqiure alot of space and are very hard to build. Is this correct.

Yes they can be hard to make first few times, but once you get the hang of the measurments, and keeping the line constant- or if you get tapering the line down, they can be pretty easy. That is my only build log and its pretty half ass since I was rushed to make it, and didnt have enuff money for final finishing-carpeting or mdf

The easiest way to build them is to do a simple U- turn box, with the port/sub as close as possible, like this pic.

By the way, this is my friends box, he made it, I just told him how, he did pretty damn good first time around. And I didnt ask him about posting it, sure he doesnt mind. But, the idea of a simple u-turn for the port/line design is just about the easiest design possible.

post-11-1164149882.jpg

carpeted_002.jpg_thumb

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

make sure to watch the port area, port length, and corners inside. Believe it or now, by not putting those 45deg corners in the box can kill your output easily. best way to do it is to keep that port area constant, even around the corners. And also, keep the tline tuned to either your bass boost, or the subs Fs, and the Qts, and Qms should be low... things to watch for, and double check

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

bored on this Turkey day, I have been messing with the bass eq. After cutting 63hz down to -4, and boost -+0 on the deck, I cross over on the amp modded to where I can change the boost freq as far as Q which right now is 1.1Q with a 5db boost between 38-40hz... I have found the perfect boost/cuts for the box/cabin tunning. I dont care what anyone says, 125rms- RMS-Mono- 1 channel only, When I get track 17 on Jeezy's Thug Motivation, and the deck is up to 30, and the sub gain is zero'd- middle, its painful to listen to the song and have to lower the volumn after about 1-2 minutes. Painfull as in my head rattles, chest feels alot of pressure. And these are just some 600-800 watt max 2" vc subwoofers, based on SQ, in a CRX style SPL/SQL T-line box...... Begging to get a meter job here.. haha

I would like to see peaks/dips, to get a better box built in the future to gain absolute max spl... Hell, my speaker wire Iam testing with is just 18 gauge, and is not even warming up yet... pretty funny if you ask me.

sundown.jpg

:^ VERY INFORMATIVE AND PRECISE. I LIKE- ILIKE!!

I'M IN ORLANDO WITH A CREW CRAB F-150 WITHOUT THE REAR SEATS. I HAD A WALL WITH 4 15 AUTO-TEK DUAL 4 OHM 15'S RUNNING OFF 1 AUTOTEK MEAN MACHINE 3000.1. I GOT TIRED OF THAT SET-UP AND SOLD IT. NOW I HAVE 2 RF T2000.1'S TO RUN 2 18'S(NOT SURE WHICH SUBS) THINK I HAVE ENOUGH SPACE TO GET A T-LINE ENCLOSURE FOR TWO 18'S??? KEEP N MIND I HAVE A 4 DOOR CREW CAB F-150 WITHOUT THE REAR SEATS, IF SO I'LL BE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.

Sent you a PM about this, but figured you may want to address it here also. 

I run no bass boost at all, and my new subs have an Fs of 27hz, which makes the t-line way too long for what I'm trying to do.  Can I design it around 35-40hz anyway, since according to your tutorial, it hits a full octave under the tuning, and I really don't need anything that hits much under 25-30hz anyways.

Archived