Second Skin Audio

(4) Soundqubed 15's box. Dedicated Home Music System: Build Log - Picture Log - Help Log

Impalalpine

So since my first box I have wanted to do an enclosure with no space restrictions. A build that focuses on cone area and low tuning.

Subs are HDS200's (ordered one already to see if I like them, I will post pictures here when it gets here)

Soundqubed is very vague with there enclosure recommendations and i'm looking for a more specialized design

My first dilemma is with the box and is if I should go with a 2x2 pattern such as this:

liftedranger08_zpscca8dc7b.jpg

Or a 4x1 pattern such as this: (ported though)

mMYiNlcIb5JdLZWHJJpzCpA_zps72742786.jpg

My only real limits are what can fit through my doorframe's in my house. I was playing with the RE Box Calculator and I can make both styles fit.

I want between 12-19 cubes. (<---cant believe i'm serious with this) tuned low to 28-35 hrz

It can be enormous, only one of the dimensions needs to conform to the doorframe's

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

Since this is going in your house I would do a dual opposed layout. Better yet since you have 4 subs I would do two dual opposed boxes so you can place them is different parts of the room to even out the sound. With just one sub the room can cause you to have areas of almost no bass and other spots that will pound, using two boxes really helps with that.

ETA: The RE box calculator has been proven to give wrong results, don't trust it. If you really want to be awesome look into EBS or LLT style ported enclosures.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Just to be clear, two boxes each housing two drivers on opposite sides of the room?

I was hoping to use a single plate amplifier on it, wouldn't two box's need two amps?

This is what I was thinking:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa1000-1000w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-809

The subs are all dual two ohm so I would end up with 4 ohms with 4 drivers.

the room is on the smaller side.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

n8ball2013

You might want to try a tapped horn, only most enclosure software doesn't calculate for that style.

Hard to build but would give you amazing sound for home audio purposes, and good low end reproduction

edit: Try building something like a Danley th412...shit that would rock your house to shreds.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

t line that shit since theres no space restrictions

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

I Have been playing with sketchup but I am still in the learning stage. does anyone want to put a sketchup file together for me?

I can do:

72 inches long

45 inches wide

19 inches deep

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Home Music Setup

n8ball2013

Just to be clear, two boxes each housing two drivers on opposite sides of the room?

I was hoping to use a single plate amplifier on it, wouldn't two box's need two amps?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa1000-1000w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-809

Yeah two boxes each with two drivers, placed in different parts of the room. They don't have to be opposite of each other, placement is something you have to experiment with.

The only problem with those plate amps like the one you listed is once you get over about 300 watts or so, you can get a pro audio amp for less money that will put out WAY more power. Like this: http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier--248-6704

If you have a lot of space a tapped horn will get you a TON of output, but they often need some kind of EQ to get decently flat response. Also they can be tougher to integrate with your mains. Ported or sealed boxes may not need as much, if any EQ, but they are nowhere near as efficient. No matter what you do there are trade offs.

Here is a really interesting article on LLT/EBS ported subs, its a little long, but very informative: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/1820-llt-explained.html

I can help you with the SketchUp work once you decide what direction you want to go in.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah two boxes each with two drivers, placed in different parts of the room. They don't have to be opposite of each other, placement is something you have to experiment with.

The only problem with those plate amps like the one you listed is once you get over about 300 watts or so, you can get a pro audio amp for less money that will put out WAY more power. Like this: http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier--248-6704

If you have a lot of space a tapped horn will get you a TON of output, but they often need some kind of EQ to get decently flat response. Also they can be tougher to integrate with your mains. Ported or sealed boxes may not need as much, if any EQ, but they are nowhere near as efficient. No matter what you do there are trade offs.

Here is a really interesting article on LLT/EBS ported subs, its a little long, but very informative: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/1820-llt-explained.html

I can help you with the SketchUp work once you decide what direction you want to go in.

So first off, thank you for pointing out the pro audio amp, that's a done deal much better option than what I was looking at with the plate amplifiers.

I looked up the horn design and am intimidated by the level of difficulty involved in the build, I am more interested in a conventional box

The logistic's of wiring two boxes together to one amplifier is also a little scary to me and would prefer a single box solution if possible.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Home Music Setup

n8ball2013

Archived