Second Skin Audio

4th Order Tutorial?

timc31610

Hey guys, I have a JL 8w7 sitting in my storage building and was wondering if it would work well in a 4th order? Is there a tutorial on here as to how to go about designing one? From the reading I have done I have gathered that most use a 3 to 1 ratio with fairly high tuning on the ported side but how is the tuning determined? If anyone would care to help I would be very appreciative! As far as space goes I have no real constraints, the sub will be used in my little shop for music only, and it will be powered by a 500 watt plate amp which will push about 350 watts to the sub. Thanks again guys!

The high aspect ratio (ported side larger than sealed side) 4th order you see used in car audio applications is probably not what you are going to want outside of a car. The high aspect ratio make them very efficient, but very peaky in response. This works out OK in a car since the cabin gain will help fill it around the peak, but in your shop you are going to end up with a one-note-wonder.

For tuning you want the ported side to be tuned to the resonant frequency of the sealed side. Probably the best thing you can do is download WinISD and play around a bit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Does it help that my shop is small, 12x12? lol

Yeah it will help, depending on the construction and how well sealed up your shop is. I looked up the specs on your driver and it should work well in a 4th order, you just have to design differently than you would for a car.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Build a t-line instead honestly. If you want to showcase the sub, the T-line will sound WAYYY better. If you do opt for a 4th, then I would go 1:1 or something close to that so that you get the flattest curve possible. The only 4ths I have ever heard indoors didn't sound all that good.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

I thought about a T-line but would like some experience in the 4th order first. Reason being is my girlfriend will be getting a new car soon and will want a sub, only problem is she doesn't understand that you cant wedge tennis rackets between the sub and back wall. So, I thought a decent 4th would be a good way to get the bass while hiding the sub..lol. I most likely will not use the 8w7 in her car just want to use it to experiment.

Thanks for your responses guys, I have been reading up on 4th orders and have another question. How do you determine the RF of the sealed portion? Is it based on the Fs of the sub?

Thanks for your responses guys, I have been reading up on 4th orders and have another question. How do you determine the RF of the sealed portion? Is it based on the Fs of the sub?

Its based on the Fs and QTS of the sub, and the QTC of the enclosure. Here is an online calculator for it: http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/Box/

When you use the calculator the value you are looking for is "Fb"

Builds:

Archived