Knu 1/0 370a alternator ok with one run?

You DO NOT want to stack terminals on the alternator. Stacking ring terminals on the alternator WILL cause the regulator to overheat..

The regulator will overheat and possibly burn up the regulator. If you need multiple runs run them from the battery.. NOT OFF OF THE ALTERNATOR

The regulator will overheat and cause the alternator to be less efficient

We understand that the regulator will overheat, but what is the reasoning behind that. Essentially what Im asking, is WHY will the regulator overheat?

Im curious because like many others here with high output alternators, we add on 1/0awg (most of the time) and keep our stock charging lines on the alternator. Before I go and terminate my stock wiring, Id just like an explanation of why our current setups are harmful for the voltage regulator.

Im not trying to start problems, Im genuinely curious.

Thank you :good:

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

ok it will over heat but how would another ring terminal cause it to heat up..I have 2 runs from my alt to my battery ..how does the alt REALLY know there are 2 ring terminals or runs on the post?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT

Walled- 10.5 cubes net tuned 33Hz

2-15 inch AA Team subs D2

Americanbass- 750.1

1 yellowtop under the hood , 4 c&d 88ah batteries in rear

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

4 soundqubed supertweeters

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

22 years old and still have alot to learn..lets get it

Posts statement
Doesn't explain

Sounds like an excuse to void warranty

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Posts statement

Doesn't explain

Sounds like snafu

Lol

At least he eventually explains lol

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

here is the actually answer, in 16 inches or 26.340 cm of OFC 1/0 wiring your resistance is 1.723 x 10 ^ -6 per centimeter. so small you that its barley there. we will assume that is 0

16 inches = 26.340 centimeters / your resistance is 26.34 CM/ohms

to calculate amperage ( I = V * R ) ( I = current or amps)

assuming charging is 14.4 volts

I = 14.4v * 26.34ohms

379.296 amps allowed

also don't forget heat is energy which would raise the resistance allowing more current to travel through

assuming you are referring to ofc wire yes you are fine

For instance If you have a weak battery up front lets say 12.2 or so and your load of batteries in the rear are in good shape resting at lets say 12.8 or so .Then you have your battery bank backfeeding to the front now you have the current from your battery bank at XXX amount of AH coming back to the alternator trying to balance out the rest of the system plus the output of the alternator right at the output stud then the output stud can get hot and potentially melt off.. Not to mention the added weight of the cable on that 8mm stud which is pressed in could become loose and cause resistance causing none other than FAILURE

I have four per alt never had a issue .. An I have them stacked in back battery bus bars were amps are drawing 1000 amps each.. 1-1/0 will not support 370 amps very effiently especially as the run gets longer that would be more resistance trying to push 370 amps through that wire than multiple lugs

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Archived