Second Skin Audio

F-150 Underseat Quad 6.5" Enclosure

So I told the neighbor's kid when he hits 16 and gets a car I'd build him a subwoofer box for it. Turns out the kid gets a crew cab F-150. It's a nice truck but doesn't leave me much room to work with. He isn't willing to give up any passenger space or do anything that can't be easily undone. Also his budget for amp and subs is only about $350. About the only place to put anything is under the rear bench seat. You have about 8" of vertical space under there at the front, but you only get 4" at the back. I figured I post on here what I came up with in case anyone is interested.

For power I had him get a Audio Technix AT400.1. The enclosure I came up with is 1.5 cubes net tuned to 33 Hz and houses four Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6.5" subs. My performance goals for this are for it to be equivelent or better than a single ported 12" on the same power. I think this should be attainable since the four Tang Bands have more cone area than a 12" would, but we shall see when its all said and done. Its going to be a pretty mild system compared to what you usually see around here, but his expectations are fairly modest.

Here is the enclosure design I settled on.:

Screenshot2014-02-19095805_zps5a7dcc4d.p

Everything is a pretty snug fit and it wish I could give it more net airspace but that's the best I could do with the space I had. Fortunately the drivers only eat up .028 cubes of space each.

Getting started on the construction:

2014-02-18174425_zpsd8a38f24.jpg

Those Harbor Freight 90-degree clamps are worth every bit of the $10 they cost.

Here I am tweaking the port tuning:

2014-02-19214421_zps24211c18.jpg

I've found that the port length formulas don't always give accurate results for slot ports. I like accuracy so I cut my ports long, measure what the actual tuning is, and cut the port down till I get what I want. I started with 22" long ports on each side and ended up with 19.5" to get me right on 33 Hz. Just for reference both Torres and WinISD said the ports would need to be 24" to get the 33 Hz tuning I wanted. You can see why I don't trust their numbers.

This is where I'm at now:

2014-02-23210657_zps4f34e592.jpg

I still have to cut and attach the front trim piece, round over everything, paint, and carpet. I'll post more pictures as I get it finished up.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good man can't wait to see final product

C-Fizzy, on 01 April 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

Check out my build thread http://www.stevemead...product-page-2/

New build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172646-punkrocks-97-civic-build/

Do you really think 2hz difference is going to make all the mythological things happen at 33hz

Nope, highly unlikely anyone would ever be able to hear the difference. But if I have the ability to do it right and be accurate why wouldn't I? Wouldn't you?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I'm all about accuracy but if you want to be truly accurate, you need to do your testing in the environment the subs will be in permanently, not in a shop.

And that's a very nice looking build.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I'm all about accuracy but if you want to be truly accurate, you need to do your testing in the environment the subs will be in permanently, not in a shop.

And that's a very nice looking build.

I agree, and I do test in the vehicle when possible, unfortunately it isn't always possible. In those cases, testing in the shop is certainly better than not at all, at least when it comes to port tuning. For things like frequency response, in the shop isn't really better than not at all since that is so heavily influenced by the environment.

When I install this enclosure I'll test the port tuning again and post how much different it is (or isn't) from what I measured in the shop.

Builds:

Awesome build Triticum! Wonder how long he will use that box before he wants bigger? lol

Knowing him, about a week. :-) It will probably be much longer until his wallet wants bigger though.

Builds:

Archived