09 Ranger Reg Cab Budget Build

Will general acoustic mat work? there is a foam factory close to my house that sells it fairly cheap. It's commercial grade acoustic sound barrier foam mat

Im sure it would

2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Xs3400

1500BDCP

FI BL 12

3sq @ 32hz

Rockford t675

T400.2

Stinger Deadner

Build Log Here

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya it was a hell of a shot! glad i found it and the fix was easy!

My brother stopped by last night after not hearing or seeing the system for over 2 weeks. So i got a chance to play with it and it sounds good, full tilt its pretty loud in that little cab but really clear. We put in the Matrix and wtched some action scenes and the picture is good but the system is great to watch movies on. Sub hits pretty good and really enjoyable to watch. Screen tilts up to make veiwing easier. If it wasnt so late i would have taken a video but it was starting to get dark. Next time.

• 1 year later...

Build update. Systems still trouble free and sounding great. I am about to have my own 2 car garage so i will have time to paint his shell to match the truck and do some spot painting where its rusting.

He wants more Bass so i can get some measurements for a new box design.

• 2 years later...

So i thought i would update this build due to a first experience for me that i thought the great knowledge on SMD would shed some insight. This system has been running flawlessly since install. Me brother told me he heard a pop and then no bass. He brought it over a couple weeks ago and i check fuses and wiring. Pulled out the VM to check electrical and everything seemed fine. I said the amp must of taken a shit. ? I ordered him a new one. Its a RF P300-1, First time in all the yrs of running Rockford Fosgate equipment that a amp shit out. But i pick one up from Amazon, $149.00 and two weeks later in swap them out. Set the gains with the amp distortion detector instead of my DD-1. Which i used when system was installed march of 2014.

Amp came on, set gains, hooked up wires to test system. All 4 6x8's working properly off the PBR300x4 but no bass again. Finally i  look at the driver and decided to manually push it in and sure as shit seized up. Well fuck, how did he blow the sub that then blew the amp.?

His sub due to space & budget was a RF R2SWD410" in 2 ohm mode off the P300-1. Birth sheet was about 440 RMS @ 2 ohm. So naturally i backed the gains down even more due to the R2 10's ratings. 200rms/400peak. Guess i should have wired it to a higher ohm load. He has just purchased a P3SWD410" to replace it with. That should handle the power better.

To be honest he has a teenage son and a bitch of a wife that could have easy fucked his system up by playing it to loud. He doesn't let anyone drive it but i know they get to sit in it and fuck with it. Oh well i just thought it strange the amp blew too.

System still sounds great, I want to order up some 6x8 Fast Rings for the front doors. I deadened and acoustic foamed the doors but i think add the fast rings will help carry the sound out of the door panels better. I do it to every build now, cheapest, easiest way for SQ in the door cavities. Can never have to much deadening....

10 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Can never have to much deadening....

The two layers (130ish ft^2) i have in the cab of my Ranger agree with you completely!

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

16 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

So i thought i would update this build due to a first experience for me that i thought the great knowledge on SMD would shed some insight. This system has been running flawlessly since install. Me brother told me he heard a pop and then no bass. He brought it over a couple weeks ago and i check fuses and wiring. Pulled out the VM to check electrical and everything seemed fine. I said the amp must of taken a shit. ? I ordered him a new one. Its a RF P300-1, First time in all the yrs of running Rockford Fosgate equipment that a amp shit out. But i pick one up from Amazon, $149.00 and two weeks later in swap them out. Set the gains with the amp distortion detector instead of my DD-1. Which i used when system was installed march of 2014.

Amp came on, set gains, hooked up wires to test system. All 4 6x8's working properly off the PBR300x4 but no bass again. Finally i  look at the driver and decided to manually push it in and sure as shit seized up. Well fuck, how did he blow the sub that then blew the amp.?

His sub due to space & budget was a RF R2SWD410" in 2 ohm mode off the P300-1. Birth sheet was about 440 RMS @ 2 ohm. So naturally i backed the gains down even more due to the R2 10's ratings. 200rms/400peak. Guess i should have wired it to a higher ohm load. He has just purchased a P3SWD410" to replace it with. That should handle the power better.

To be honest he has a teenage son and a bitch of a wife that could have easy fucked his system up by playing it to loud. He doesn't let anyone drive it but i know they get to sit in it and fuck with it. Oh well i just thought it strange the amp blew too.

System still sounds great, I want to order up some 6x8 Fast Rings for the front doors. I deadened and acoustic foamed the doors but i think add the fast rings will help carry the sound out of the door panels better. I do it to every build now, cheapest, easiest way for SQ in the door cavities. Can never have to much deadening....

Whats the sub's dc resistance now?  If it dead shorted then the amp saw 0 ohms, which would be a good reason for it to fry.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

One coil read 5.56 ohms and then i tried the other coil wouldn't read. It was seized and went i took the sub apart the coil was fried as hell... Bummer on the amp. I have it apart as well and see no visible damage to circuits, board, or caps. Hooked it up to my car and same result DOA.    

• 2 weeks later...

my friend has the same scenario, bitchy wife and teenager kid who play car to loud, so what i did on his car is pulled the EQ back about -4db (kept it all flat) and measured with the dd-1 at full volume to check to see distortion and all was good.  (I know this isnt standard practice, but I only did this to keep his system from getting fucked up).  now if they turn the volume all the way up (which they will do), it wont distort and wont damage the system.  Just a thought as it did work for me to my friends car. 

"Be sure you know what you're talking about, before you give advice"

Tim

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. He ordered a P3Sd410 to replace the R2D410 so it should handle the power better. I also ordered a 6x8 Fast Ring system for the front doors and a P3 RF speaker grille.

this is my practice any time i set up a system where i know more than just the owner of the vehicle will be messing with the set up.  I have yet to have anyone come back with a fried anything using this method.  A lot of systems.  especially ipad/ipod/iphone-bluetooth controller types of systems have no volume level indicator, so doing the whole eq -db thing actually really helps prevent from system failure because amps are set to high.  Plus its sort of nice knowing you can go full volume, and not do damage, and not have to 'remember' that you are distorting past a certain point. 

does his car have an after market radio??

if so is he using the 'loudness' button?? at high volume?? this could be the issue too that cause failure to the sub/amp. 

People that know nothing about stereos and see that magical 'mega bass' button just love to press it lol.  Just trying to help find the problem cause for ya.  maybe when you set his gain for the sub, set it at -5db 40hz track instead of -10db to prevent damage, up to you of course. 

is the amp getting good ventalation?? maybe overheating caused the problem.  ugh so many possible issues.  wish i were there to help figure it out. 

"Be sure you know what you're talking about, before you give advice"

Tim

Archived