What harness? Suggestions on different HU?

Vehicle is an '05 Silverado 2500HD with bose and onstar. I do not use onstar and never plan to and I won't need bose either because I'll be using pwx-6's and some tweets on a nendo 800/4. I have never dealt with a double din or a vehicle with onstar/bose systems but I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-X4600BT. I really would like to retain factory chimes if possible but I have no idea what harness I need.

I guess to sum it up my questions are what harness do I need to retain chimes? Bose and onstar won't matter.

Any suggestions on a different HU or is this good to start? Just looking for a fairly basic double din for everyday use doesn't need to do anything fancy. I do prefer that it has 3 sets of pre-outs. I typically use a thumb drive for my music.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Well, my 02 Rendezvous had the OEM upgraded sound and I can tell you right now if you're going to be running an external amp, you don't want the fancier Metra harnesses that do onstar, mainly because (or at least in the case of the GMOS-04) the door chimes will play through the left front speaker, which doesn't do squat for you if you don't have any speakers hooked up to the head unit.

I settled on a Metra Harness that didn't support a factory amp. It came with it's own little box with a small speaker in it that instead of the door chimes going through the front left speaker. The outputs are not on the place on the connector though so if I needed to use the head unit for sound I'd have been potentially out of luck.

Good to know, didn't realize they had a harness with its own speaker. Thanks man!

No problem. I'll see if I can dig out some pictures of the Onstar harness I have. It's no longer installed in the car so I should be able to.

I had considered running a single small speaker like a 2.5 for just the front left channel off of the head unit, but even that wasn't going to cut it as I'd either need a way to defeat that speaker when the car was rolling (since it wouldn't be EQ'd and I'd probably blow it), or there had to be a better way.

The harness for an unamplified car was definitely the way to go. The little box has a speaker in it which never plays any music whatsoever, just the chimes. Heads up though it's LOUD. Seriously I've never heard door chimes that loud. It's right inside my dash and resonates like crazy, so there's no way I'll be leaving my keys in the ignition. There is a resistor inside it you can cut to make it quieter, but I didn't bother with it personally.

Archived