Sonic Electronix

pros and cons of different setups

I am currently running a sundown saz1500d on 2 12in fi ssd in a custom box designed by dave the box guy. Box is tuned to 33hz after displacement and is 3.75 cubes. I went from 1 12in fi bl on the same amp to these 2 12 fi ssds and was impressed with the spl difference. However i feel both systems lacked sound quality. I had a 12in fi q a while back and loved its sq. I was thinking about getting a sundown zv4 15 to run on the same amp thinking i could improve on my lows as now they are inaudible. If i were to get the 15, the box for it would have a 33% larger port than my current box but it will be less cone area than the 12s. My question is, what would be the pros and cons of each system? Will i even be able to hear the difference in spl or sq?

Your box is not on the big size for 2 12"s. Maybe a bigger one could help.

You don't use a lot of power on those subs.

I would try a much bigger box, like 5 cubic feet net volume, with appropriate port area.

I tried some Fi bl, and they were never lacking any sound quality or output. They were in a 4cu ft box at 32ish Hz.

You have a problem somewhere, but it's not the sub. No way.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Archived