whats a good router

Miguels

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second what Brian said about bits.

I would say that the 1/4" spiral upcut bit and the flush trim bit are necessary (along with the Jasper circle jig), and the roundovers are nice to have.

I have a dewalt router and I love it. I thought at first that I would go with a lower end router because I wouldn't put alot of hours on it, but it's nice to have the power when you need it, even if it isn't that often.

ALWAYS wear a dust mask/respirator when using a router and MDF, that dust gets real fine and will stay suspended in the air.

The DeWalt router that I got has an attachment for a shopvac and has a lexan bottom to help manage dust, but it is still bad.

So this is as good a time to ask as any I think.

I have a few pieces of 1" thick countertop from work. Nice thick laminate. Heavy duty. They were the old return desk counters at menards so u have an idea. Im wanting to mount a router underneath it and make a router table that I can create a rip fence for for bigger pieces or for finish type bits. I have a black and decker router I created a jig for for circles but it sucks trying to do roundovers if the edge isnt perfect. so im wanting to do a router and lift for that. Get some nice bits from 12v. What is a router u would suggest to only use for that?

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

ive been trying to find if the jasper jig would fit my router..i was searching by how much i paid in sears and was having no luck.. i typed in the part number and found the router i got.. the weird thing is that the price tag was $129 and was on sale for $109. now im looking at sears and the router cost $211.. dont know if sears messed up or that price on the site is incorrect

anyways. my router is not on the list in jasper fitment guide. do you guys think it will fit??

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-amp-2-hp-fixed-plunge-base-router/p-00927683000P?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

ive been trying to find if the jasper jig would fit my router..i was searching by how much i paid in sears and was having no luck.. i typed in the part number and found the router i got.. the weird thing is that the price tag was $129 and was on sale for $109. now im looking at sears and the router cost $211.. dont know if sears messed up or that price on the site is incorrect

anyways. my router is not on the list in jasper fitment guide. do you guys think it will fit??

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-amp-2-hp-fixed-plunge-base-router/p-00927683000P?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

no idea, if you do get a jasper jig make sure you get the model 200 instead of the 240 I believe it is. I have the 240 model and it only does a minimum of a 7" hole so basically worthless for mids and highs. The 200 model goes down to 2 and 1/4 I believe.

Wow so I looked around and I couldn't find anything that did smaller then a minimum of a 10" circle guide for that router. You may have to make one. You could get a jasper 200 circle jig and then just make a mounting plate out of lexan. Lexan is a bitch to work with though, if you can get your hands on a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum that would probably be easier, although you kill your cutting depth by 1/4 then I would think.

Also a piece of 2" wide metal would work. Mount it you your router base and drill holes for the desired radius. Just the jasper is about a million times better because you can go in 1/16th steps.

oooooor return it and get one that works with the jasper jig.

Most of the newer craftsman bases now fit the Jasper jig. They are the same as the Bosch units. If by some chance yours does not, it is an easy one to set the jasper and drill out a couple holes on the base to attach it. It's what I did to my older one years ago.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

no idea, if you do get a jasper jig make sure you get the model 200 instead of the 240 I believe it is. I have the 240 model and it only does a minimum of a 7" hole so basically worthless for mids and highs. The 200 model goes down to 2 and 1/4 I believe.

Wow so I looked around and I couldn't find anything that did smaller then a minimum of a 10" circle guide for that router. You may have to make one. You could get a jasper 200 circle jig and then just make a mounting plate out of lexan. Lexan is a bitch to work with though, if you can get your hands on a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum that would probably be easier, although you kill your cutting depth by 1/4 then I would think.

Also a piece of 2" wide metal would work. Mount it you your router base and drill holes for the desired radius. Just the jasper is about a million times better because you can go in 1/16th steps.

oooooor return it and get one that works with the jasper jig.

Using the jasper to cut holes smaller then 5" is a pain in the ass. Biggest issue is the base cover the holes on most of the smaller measurements. You either only tab a small part of the pivot pin, or you drill out part of the base.

In all reality, using a hole saw is a quicker and safer way to cut smaller holes.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I use the big boy dewalt router. Variable speed all that jazz. One thing I've also found is I have two jasper jigs. One that I kee for attaching to a router base and the other I use for drawing circles and stuff like that before I cut something and screw it up. It's just a time saving thing but for me it's worth it

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Miguel try this. Works for me! Scrap wood. Measure with a caliper, a ruler will also work, just not as precise.

Take your diameter measurement, cut it half, measure it up, one side of the bit to the end of the measurement.

Drill a pilot hole with a drill bit. The bit will be your anchor to spin around.

router%20023_zpslfxqilxc.jpg

I did my rings for my doors this way. See the 2 "Eclipse" measurements, that was for my recess rings! And the 6.5 (13") for my recessed kickers. Works like a charm especially since your router will see limited use! One thing I found was, you have to make a 1/16" pass, measure it, tweak it if needed. Thus the hole adjacent to one another.

router%20024_zpscvm4vpvf.jpg

In case you're wondering if it can work for tweeters?????? You be the judge!

router%20026_zpsocy33d8a.jpg

-Frank

Archived