Mechman Alternators

240 Amp Mechman Alternator, Battery Light comes on now

So I recently bought a 240 amp alternator from Mechman Alternators for my 1998 GS300, now I have one problem. Every time my rpm's goes past 5k and I let off the gas my battery light comes on, I did not have this issue with my stock alternator. I have upgrade to 1/0 gauge KnuKonceptz Wire for my the Big 3 Three, although for my power run I have a 4 gauge run (I have no amplifiers yet, so I believe it won't draw the full the 240 amps but will pull stock load for now which is somewhere around 100 amps). I have copper lugs, an XS Power D3400, a new Goodyear Gatorback Belt, and also added an inline fuse. I have done everything that was asked and I still have a problem. Does anyone have any insight? I am wondering if it may have to do with the stock power wire being still connected and the fuse box being overloaded with power? I don't think that is the case, though not 100% sure, any information will help. I am also linking a video of the battery light coming on past 5k rpms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-QM5azcTA

Edited by CharlieD1126

5k!!

You probably received a slightly smaller OD pulley for better turn on.

When you wrap the motor out like that, your puter (thinking something is up) is just letting you know there could be a issue.

I'm sure when you back off the revs the light goes away? Yes?

5k!!

Psh, Ive revved my Singer to 7200 **Waits for Honda post**

But with the OD pulley, its smaller than factory.. and it spins faster than the factory one. It maybe a hunch, but maybe its being overspin. Mechman was worried about that with mine.

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Yes when I go back under 5,000 rpms my light goes away, if you check the video out it shows that it blinks. I can believe a voltage spike but my voltage never goes about 14.3, but I will check again, I have a ScanGauge 2 that reads rpms and volts so I will make another video just watching that, and when it goes about 5k rpms and I let go, I guess I will know then. As for the overspin, why would that happen? It is the pulley that came with the alternator, wouldn't they know of overspin and let me know that it could happen? But I will say that my voltage sits around 13.7 when warm and when I turn on A/C, seat warmers, head lights, the voltage starts to plummet to 12.9-13.3 and will not go back up until I turn everything back off. I did notice that my car sits between 500-600 rpms at idle, could that be a problem?

Edited by CharlieD1126

Here is a link if you want to see yourself. It is of the ScanGauge 2 in my car reading volts and rpms. If you do not want to watch the video, I go 5k rpms, let it off and the voltage doesn't move, I didn't move this time so I am thinking that is a good sign, but why is my battery light coming up still for a split second?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fzjBsbXnA&feature=youtu.be

So I recently bought a 240 amp alternator from Mechman Alternators for my 1998 GS300, now I have one problem. Every time my rpm's goes past 5k and I let off the gas my battery light comes on, I did not have this issue with my stock alternator. I have upgrade to 1/0 gauge KnuKonceptz Wire for my the Big 3 Three, although for my power run I have a 4 gauge run (I have no amplifiers yet, so I believe it won't draw the full the 240 amps but will pull stock load for now which is somewhere around 100 amps). I have copper lugs, an XS Power D3400, a new Goodyear Gatorback Belt, and also added an inline fuse. I have done everything that was asked and I still have a problem. Does anyone have any insight? I am wondering if it may have to do with the stock power wire being still connected and the fuse box being overloaded with power? I don't think that is the case, though not 100% sure, any information will help. I am also linking a video of the battery light coming on past 5k rpms.

We would be glad to have a look at the alternator. All you need to do is give us a call toll free so we can set you up with a return authorisation code to send it in for testing

We would be glad to have a look at the alternator. All you need to do is give us a call toll free so we can set you up with a return authorisation code to send it in for testing

I already sent it in once, 2 weeks ago, I got it back last Thursday, so if you want me to send it back in again, you can pay for my shipping.

Edited by CharlieD1126

My alt in my acura did the same thing.

Your just spinning faster than OEM has in the GO NO go puter.

Yes, ive had that issue, ... if your charging fine, i wouldnt worry about it a second.

EDIT - Did or does this alt come with a slightly smaller OD pulley for lower turn on ?

Edited by KyLar96