Second Skin Audio

Help with 1st 4th order build, ports firing through rear deck

I need advise for my first bandpass build. I have done some research and I am not going to lie. All that reading was kind of confusing, and this is what I have come up with. Can you guys check and make sure that it would work good? I want it to be musical and to be able to also hit the low frequencies. I will never be doing any type of burping with this set up. I tried using winisd to help model the box. I tried to model it after the required specs for a ported box. I read on another forum about modeling a 4th order after a sealed enclosure, to get a flat response.

Car: 12' corolla

Sub: going to buy aq hds312 d2

Amp: aq1200

Goal: one 12" sub in a 4th order bandpass with aero ports firing through rear deck 6x9 holes. I want it to be musical and to be able to hit the lows too.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I was reading some more about 4th order boxes and I stumbled upon something that Joe X had said on another thread " note the excursion at 1000w per sub, a bigger sealed chamber box will result in over excursion...." That got me thinking and worried about my box design. I was wondering if someone could be able to check the excursion factor for my box? Total h 16x 34w x 15d. The box is divided from top to bottom with the sub inverted firing down into the lower sealed section with 1.14 cube ft. The top ported half will include the vol. of the inverted sub with a 2.04 cube ft. The ports are going to be dual aero 4" external ports firing into the rear deck 6x9 holes tuned to 46hz.

Sub: soundqubed hds312 d2 fs 33.65, qts 0.692, vas 22.130L, qms 6.912, qes 0.769. Amp: aq1200.1

im no box expert. but i think your in the right direction and you will be fine. i wouldn't worry about over excursion your not going over the RMS rating, and 1 cubic feet for the sealed side seams good to me , just as long as the sub is not close to the port you shouldn't have a problem. some one else will chime in and help

Thanks diego! I just want to make sure that I build it right the first time. I can't afford to blow my sub. Shoot I can't afford to do all the fun experimenting with the box neither. I need to get it right the first time. I figured that I could also somehow make the ports interchangeable. I was also thinking about hitting up RAM designs, but I don't know how much he charges for designs.

Do .8 sealed 2 ported @ 47hz with 55" of port, try to keep the port length around 6". If you have to go to smaller on port to keep it 6" tuned to 47 you can

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

^^^ what he said id do three 6" ports

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

Thanks Dylan, but I'm confused now. Does the 55 inches of port area which is half the cone area pertain to aero ports too? If so then I would need two 6" aeroports that would give me 56 inches of port area but it would need to be approximately 30" long to give me 47hz. I can only use two aero ports and I think 4" might be the biggest that I can run in the 6x9 holes. Two 4" aeroports would have to be 11" long with 8" of the 11" being external to give me 47.28 hz. That's 25.13 in^2 of port area and about 12.56 port area per foot.

I've heard aero ports don't work as we'll in 4th orders, try to keep the port as close to a square as you can and and as short as you can

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived