Second Skin Audio

seal off trunk help???

dsw422

Ok. so I built a box for 4 10's its about 4.5cuft. its in a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. I'm the kind of person who hates a rattling trunk lid... so I want to seal it off...

Problem is, the only way I could put the subs in the trunk was to put them facing up. I know, everyone is probably against it.. sry..

Other problem, the trunk lid hinges swing down an inch beside the box and the torsion springs are directly over the edge of the box..

I wanted to put a panel across the entire back of the box to the fender wells. but the hinges obviously wont be able to go thru it without a hole..

anyway, I need ideas to seal off the box from the trunk.

also, if anyone knows where I can get some kind of hydraulic hinges to get rid of mine, that would help a lot!!

here are some pics so u get what im talking about.

MDQwMzE0MTgyNmMuanBn.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNC5qcGc.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNS5qcGc.jpg

heres the hinges I was talking about

MDQwMzE0MTgyNWEuanBn.jpg

heres the torsion springs

MDQwMzE0MTgyNWIuanBn.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNWMuanBn.jpg

ive already sealed the giant fender wells... little messy...

MDQwMzE0MTgyNi5qcGc.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNmEuanBn.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNmIuanBn.jpg

MDQwMzE0MTgyNmQuanBn.jpg

thanks for the help all!!

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Don't see how you will pull this off. I'm not saying it isn't possible but will be very difficult. For the cost of custom hydraulic hinges you could buy two better tens and build a practical box that could be sealed off. Or you could rip out the torsion bar, build a cover over the top of the subs that would cover the sides and the back and would only have an opening in the front but that would be like some strange 6th order box. Good luck man and post pics. Also if those are the 01C10VR4 subs, Kicker recommends 1.5 ft3 each so you are quite a bit under sized on net volume.

Edit: Thought of more to say.

OP you are pretty much kidding yourself, it's ok since is just some MDF in play and you improve your box building skills but anyways if you ever get any serious about performance, get different equipment (all of it I guess) and do two higher power 12s firing forward port forward and sealed off.

not much help.. lol.. I understand it'll b difficult, but isn't that what this forum is for?? try to help others make the impossible or improbable, possible?? neway.. I am actually thinking of getting something else later on.. but my wife has a baby on the way, so spending money towards systems is slim to none.. that's y im trying to make use of what I have for now... thanks for the help and info guys!!

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Take this as you wish but I think your up shit creak with out a paddle on this one man. Take 2 of those 10's build a nice box for the 2 then seal it off or just Waite and deal with the fact you have subs and port up in a trunk.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

I remember the thread when you were asking for input on the box you have now and if irc they were a few people who said it was not a good idea. You went from a box with too little airspace and too little port area to another box with the same issues and added trunk rattle into the mix.

Archived