Sundown Audio

running a single 8...SA or SD-2?

I want to bridge a single 8 off the rear channels of a SAX 125.4 and run SA 6.5's up front. (the HU is a kenwood x997) From everything I have seen and read online, the sealed SD-2 would be the better choice but I thought I would see if anyone had any input. I was told 2 x SD-2 8's would be the best Wow factor for this setup but a 2nd sub isn't in the budget right now. I like bass but I am not going for SPL's. I just want it to pound and sound good all around with rock, hiphop and trance. I have seen lots of youtube with both setups but it's really hard to tell from somebody's phone which one sounds better. And hearing either setup live isn't going to happen up here in Ontario. There's 1 dealer and he is 4 hours away.

Any thoughts for or against either sub would be cool.

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs

sundown sd-2 8v2 (pair in a sealed box)

Alright, thanks.

One other question...I am flirting with rear fill with another set of SA6.5's. I was just going to run it off the deck but the Sundown owners manual shows a 5 speaker setup for that amp? Running the 8 d4 sub bridged and still run rear fill off the same channel? Is that doable?

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs

If you were to run a sub off the same channels as mids you would have to passively cross it over and that wouldn't result in great sounding bass. I would stick with the front stage on the front channels and one E8 on the rear channels in a ported enclosure tuned to ~30Hz.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you were to run a sub off the same channels as mids you would have to passively cross it over and that wouldn't result in great sounding bass. I would stick with the front stage on the front channels and one E8 on the rear channels in a ported enclosure tuned to ~30Hz.

Agreed, tuned to low/mid 30s. Deaden the doors and it will help mid bass giving a better blend.

Alright, thanks for all the input. I saw it in the manual and wondered if it was plausible. But I don't see anyone running that kind of set up.

I looked at the e8 v3's and running 1 or 2 of those but the impression i get is the sd-2 provides better sound, even though i can buy 2 e8's for the cost of 1 sd2.

I'll probably go for the sd2 8 with front stage (and rear fill off the deck for now). and if i want to add another sd2 8 (with a mono amp) next year it would leave the door open for that.

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs

Between those two subs the enclosure is the largest determining factor in sound quality. In fact, the enclosure is the largest factor regardless of the sub. You can buy the best sub ever made, put it in the wrong box and you'll get crappy sound.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg