Sundown Audio

running a single 8...SA or SD-2?

I am going to do the sealed sd.

I do agree the box is just as important to the sound as the hardware. I will do it properly. I see Sundown has the build sheets on their site plus there's tons of info on the forums and youtube.

Apparently there's a month backorder on the SAX 125.4 so I have some time to kill and research the box. Is there any word on 6.5 coax? I see on Sundown's facebook the post for the prototypes back in March. Anyone heard a timeline on when they will be available?

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs

sundown sd-2 8v2 (pair in a sealed box)

space in the trunk of my civic sedan is limited. a large ported box isn't going to work.

i based my decision to go with the sealed 8 based on that video that Jacob posted on youtube....the one where he runs two 8's sealed in the back of that VW in a box that is .5 to 1.0 cube and that is perfect.

i actually emailed him and asked what config is best to run bridged off that amp and his response was two 8 sd-2's. i know there's alot of experienced guys here and i value all the input that is offered. i figured since he designs this stuff i would see what his opinion was. it's really cool that the owner of Sundown takes time to respond to customer emails.

i think i am just going to do the two 8's and run them sealed with ~.5 cube each. i got a wack more back in taxes than expected so the second sub is doable now.

murdoc

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs

Nothing against the 8s but you could do a couple of 10s and wouldn't take up that much more space. Just another option. Again the 8s are awesome and you will get pretty good sound out of them, just not a ton of it on 400 watts.

As far as the amp goes you will want to get two subs that are both dual 4 ohm coils. With the coils on each sub in series and then subs in parallel giving you a final 4ohms. Then bridge the two rear channels on the amp to the subs. The front channels will go to your door speakers.

Edit: I guess I didn't read very well and thought you emailed to ask and were still waiting on a response, my bad. I thought you needed an answer not just got an answer. Anyway yeah, good luck.

Edited by gr8handogoatness

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up pulling the trigger on two SD-2 8's. Unfortunately the 125.4 I was going to power them off isn't available now (being replaced by a 150.4) and it's around a month wait. So, I guess I have time to build a quality box. Any suggestions?

I downloaded Google Sketchup and the build sheet off the Sundown site but it shows a ported box. I prefer to stick with the smaller sealed enclosure.

And how about the type of wood to use? I did a search of the forums and people say either MDF or Baltic Birch. I used MDF in the past but never considered an exotic wood like birch. Does it produce a better sound? better "punch"? Price really isn't a concern. I called around today and a 5x5 sheet of BB is 50 bucks and a 4x8 sheet of MDF is 40 bucks (but I probably will only use half anyways).

Murdoc

06 civic sedan

alpine cde-hd149bt

sundown sax 150.4

sundown 6.5cs