Would a capacitor work?

so i just went to my local car audio shop and talked to the owner. he said that since it was going into protect at a high volume, that means that the amp cant (or is having trouble) pushing the sub. not that it isnt getting enough power. do you think this is right? i thought the rockford fosgate p1000-1bd would be fine on a single FI SSD 15"?

but anyways..... i got myself a digital multi meter and tuned my gain to match my head unit. drove around for a little bit, and listened to a couple of songs, and it hasnt gone into protect once. im kinda confused tho. before i had my gain at about 3.5. now it is at about 5? do you think having the punch eq on made that happen? because now the punch eq is turned all the way down.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Yes. Any bass boost is bad 99.9% of the time.

And a DMM is in no way adequate for setting gains.

You should try to find someone near you with a DD1 near you, or buy one.

i dont think anyone around me has one. i live in the middle of wisconsin, and i dont know of too many people into car audio, and there is only one audio shop within like 45 min of me. and also, i dont really have the money to buy one. but after some more driving around, and listening, it still goes into protect mode when it really starts to get loud. i dont think its getting as many watts as the sub can take so i dont really know what to do??? could it be the amp?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

The guy at the audio shop wants to sell you a bigger amp when your electrical can't handle what you have.

Turn your gain down and don't use punch bass.

What coil configuration is the sub? What ohm load did you try to wire to AT the amp. There is a Tool locator feature on this forum that will help you find a local member with proper tools to set a gain.

Here are your possible issues:

1) Gain set too high(DMM doesn't know distortion or clipping)

2) Bad ground out grounding location still

3) Ohm load at the amp is incorrect

4) Bad amp

5) Poor quality wire

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

What I'm getting at with the Ohm Load issue is that if you have a D1 ohm sub, you may be wired at half ohm. That amp will not run half ohm and will go into protect. If you have a D2 sub, you should be okay, since you're unable to wire before 1 ohm.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

This has worked for me on fosgate amps before..... unplug the punch eq completely from the amp. Sometimes even when turned all the way down it still talks to the amp. While you're right there, double check that the lpf is set and your infrastructure filter is on.

I'm on mobile right now so going back and reading older posts is a pain.

Archived