Second Skin Audio

switching to Ported for W10GTI, suggestions/opinions welcome

BboyTaktix

Hey SMD members,

I finished my 2011 STI build last year and it has worrked pretty well since then, but I knew down the line I would want to switch to ported encosure and unleash the true power of my W10GTI sub. Build info here;

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/173212-bboytaktixs-2011-subaru-sti-modest-sq-build/

This will be my first ported box build. Now, Here is where I need some help/suggestions/opinions. Currently I am running the W10GTI in a 1.0 cubic foot box (minus driver displacement). I would like to keep the footprint of the box relatively similar, since I am really enjoying being able to put the seat down and fitting things like skis and my snowboard beside the sub all the way through. If anything I would want to make the box come more forward.

JBL has a few recommendations for box size and parameters;

first one is a 1.75 ft^3 box;

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/BoxesandParameters/W10GTi_rev_f.pdf

Second is a SPL competition style box between 2.25 to 3 ft^3;

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/BoxesandParameters/W10spl_f.pdf

but considering I don't compete, and I don't want to sacrifice that much trunk space, option 1 would be more ideal to me.

I have also seen the `lab slapbox` which is designed for the W10GTI and is 1.4 ft^3. So my first question is which size would be ideal and enough for this sub? And does anyone have experience with the W10GTI in ported enclosures, and what are you running?

Second question is ports. Do I make things simple and go with aero ports? Or should I do a classic but well-designed and executed slot port? benefits of each? I will take my time with this box to make it perfect and get the most sound out of the powerful little sub.

Third question would be tuning. I have read that most prefer to tune this sub around the 28Hz region to get the best response and kick out of it. Suggestions are welcome. I am familiar with the box tuning calculator, but have not used it in a while.

Last question would be general recommendations or things to ensure I do during my box build to make sure I get the most sound out of it. I already know to make sure the corners are all sealed well with sealant or another good product. Also I used terminal cups on my last box (made sure to seal it well), better solutions for this box? I see some going with bolts straight through, seems simple enough.

thanks in advance for opinions, thoughts, suggestions and experience.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

okay...well can anyone give me a rough ported box design for tuning around 28HZ? And slot or aero port?

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Archived