XS Power

How long before undercharging causes a problem?

Stuck my 3400s under the hood on Tuesday after a good charging and the lovely PCM controlled voltage in my truck is working properly, as in, the voltage is at 13.1 because my batteries are good and charged...but it's been like this for a few days now. I know undercharging an XS Power battery can cause damage but under what circumstances? It's been at 13.1 for a total of 1-2 hours worth of driving and maybe a few minutes here and there at 12.8. The stupid thing is that even with the accessories, headlights, a/c and the towing mode (little trick to get the voltage up) she still sits at 13.1.

I've had both my 3400s under the hood before but I've never seen voltage that low.

Potential problems?

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Do you have a battery charger?

Is switching to external regulation an option for you?

I have a XS intellicharger and had it on my batteries overnight before I initially started up the truck.

I don't know if Mechman has an external regulator for my units but want to look into external or maybe a chip for the PCM to override the regulator.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Only time you run into problems with under charging any 12V AGM battery is when you are sitting at 12.6V or lower for a few weeks. If you are above 12.6V you really don't have to worry about sulfation.

Are you talking about 13.1V while driving or while actually sitting?

Edited by Nathan@XSPOWER

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

13.1 while driving and 12.6 resting voltage.

I was thinking that having a charging voltage that low would maybe cause the battery to lose its ability to hold a charge. Thx for the reply.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Yeah your charge voltage is WAY low. Are you sure all of your sensors are still working properly. Not sure about your particular vehicle, but usually if you take the sensor on the stock negative wire off or it stops working it will jack up your computer and the charge voltage.3

Def charge the batteries when you get a chance.

Edited by Nathan@XSPOWER

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

I have a Mechman 270 on right now. Its definitely an issue with the PCM thinking that the truck doesn't need the voltage because if I start turning on head lights, a/c, defogger, fans, the voltage will climb slowly back up. Of course I'm not going to go driving around like that just to get proper charging voltage.

I haven't tried disconnecting the sensor on the battery ground, but I will try that today.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s