Sundown Audio

Underpowering a sub?

Foamyy Thee Squirrell

Power handling rating of a woofer is the manufacturers recommended MAX limit.

Anything under that is fine.

powering at the rms rating is not a requirement.

And it's actually very improbable to do since actual power being sent to the woofer drops when you turn the volume knob down.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

depends on the amp and what voltage your running... it outta be fine especially with the right box.

Care to explain?

Op, you'll be more than okay. Theres absolutely NO harm in "under powering" a driver.

care to explain what..? lol. if he's running a boss 2k amp it prolly won't be too great, compared to a higher end amp. and low voltage is just bad...

vehicle: 1998 2door tahoe

HU: kenwood single din

subs: DC level 4 18"

amp: hifonics 2500.1D and 1200.4

door speakers: 2 PWX 8"s and 2 random 6.5"s

depends on the amp and what voltage your running... it outta be fine especially with the right box.

Care to explain?

Op, you'll be more than okay. Theres absolutely NO harm in "under powering" a driver.

care to explain what..? lol. if he's running a boss 2k amp it prolly won't be too great, compared to a higher end amp. and low voltage is just bad...

to be fair, that is true no matter if you are over, under or equal powering your speakers.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

to be fair, that is true no matter if you are over, under or equal powering your speakers.

Thanks for saving me the typing :good:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Care to explain?

Still, even with a boss amp and stock electrical he can power that sub. It won't be as loud as he would expect but he would still be able to power the sub.

Care to explain?

Still, even with a boss amp and stock electrical he can power that sub. It won't be as loud as he would expect but he would still be able to power the sub.

okay, well i was just giving my 2 cents

vehicle: 1998 2door tahoe

HU: kenwood single din

subs: DC level 4 18"

amp: hifonics 2500.1D and 1200.4

door speakers: 2 PWX 8"s and 2 random 6.5"s

as long as you don't use the gain as a volume control underpowering is fine - just dont clip your signal all to hell.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Care to explain?

DC XL 15 or 18 ( depends on new vehicle) and a DC 2k amp with (hopefully) the 4g sky high wiring kit I have.

Care to explain?

DC XL 15 or 18 ( depends on new vehicle) and a DC 2k amp with (hopefully) the 4g sky high wiring kit I have.

Archived