Stock alt @ idle held a higher voltage then my rebuilt alternator.....

I wish people would read through the posts before commenting. lol

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, that's fucked up. Does your belt jump around, because if it isn't now, it will when you put a smaller pulley on it

Im not sure I understand. when you say jump around, I think as if the belt is loose and may fall off the pulley. the belt is tight and does not jump around at all and I have plenty of room to tighten up the belt more if I get a smaller pulley.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Isn't there a voltage regulator in the alternator to up the voltage?

Yes. But toying with that won't do anything for you at idle. At idle, you are lacking the amperage needed. Trying to up your voltage when you haven't enough amperage to satisfy your draw will do nothing. No, I'm serious. It won't do anything. You could have your alt set to charge at 20v, but at idle your voltage (or lack of) will be the same

A smaller pulley would help with idle output. But be weary. You'll be spinning the alt faster and I'm not sure what the speed rating of the internal parts are. You don't want to blow it up when you step on the gas. You'd also need a smaller belt to compensate and a tighter tensioner to reduce the change of slippage

Other option, which I HIGHLY recommend is to call up DC and see if they can do anything do you. Get a real HO alt. Being that they custom CNC their own casings, they don't need to find a distributor for every casing for every car. They have a huge edge in the manufacturing department and I'd say it's worth giving them a call. Personal preference: Ask for either a 14v or 14.4v regulator. The 14.8 regulator that DC and most other HO alts come with is too high IMO

aren't those alts mounted directly next to the exhaust manifold?

Check the most recent posts on my build log you can see pictures

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

You really need to be aware of turn on speed and pulley ratios. If you really want to be slick, see if you can sweet talk a local automotive shop into using their scanner to measure your hot idle speed(don't forget to tip whoever helps you). Then on your own, measure the diameter of your crank pulley. Call up the alt company of choice, report these numbers to them, and they should be able to give you a true idle output estimate specific to your car

I wish people would read through the posts before commenting. lol

who do you mean?
Everyone keeps saying Singer, Mechman, Dc, you get what you pay for.. Im aware of these brands and I did try to contact them ( people just didn't read my posts ) I started this topic to resolve my issue with my rebuilt alternator not for everyone to tell me what I need to do. This is the stuff im talking about with this forum. People are harassing me now because I went with a rebuild instead of getting a mechman or singer like everyone else. The topic is for trying to help solve my current situation not to give me a hard time with what im putting into my build.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Isn't there a voltage regulator in the alternator to up the voltage?

Yes. But toying with that won't do anything for you at idle. At idle, you are lacking the amperage needed. Trying to up your voltage when you haven't enough amperage to satisfy your draw will do nothing. No, I'm serious. It won't do anything. You could have your alt set to charge at 20v, but at idle your voltage (or lack of) will be the same

A smaller pulley would help with idle output. But be weary. You'll be spinning the alt faster and I'm not sure what the speed rating of the internal parts are. You don't want to blow it up when you step on the gas. You'd also need a smaller belt to compensate and a tighter tensioner to reduce the change of slippage

Other option, which I HIGHLY recommend is to call up DC and see if they can do anything do you. Get a real HO alt. Being that they custom CNC their own casings, they don't need to find a distributor for every casing for every car. They have a huge edge in the manufacturing department and I'd say it's worth giving them a call. Personal preference: Ask for either a 14v or 14.4v regulator. The 14.8 regulator that DC and most other HO alts come with is too high IMO

I will try and make this one work for now but I will try to contact DC and see if they can help me.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Archived