Just a thought on batteries and charging systems.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, me likey this thread :D

Keep in mind, as Nathan mentioned, batteries don't charge up to 14.4V.

They have an internal resistance to overcome which is why you need to charge at 14.4V in order to get a resting voltage of ~13V. That 1 volt or so is lost in the charging process.

Also as mentioned, caps (super) don't have this limitation and will hold power at any voltage, within their rating.

So a bank of super caps would be very helpful in the range of 13 - 14.4V to help stabilize your voltage.

:good:

Agree on the super caps comment, but running a bank of just super caps is a huge waste of money compared to building a bank of super caps that is sized for your bank of batteries. Both have their advantages and disadvantages when compared against each other, but when paired together CORRECTLY you can get the best of both worlds.

explain this? if you have enough of them to hold voltage why would you need batteries when your holding 14.4+?

Wondering if it is because batteries hold a charge longer? Seen cases where a RF hybrid cap drops voltage when vehicle is off, but holds it while vehicle is running.

Couldn't see someone giving demos all day long with caps alone. Then again, I could be wrong.

^^^ you are correct. You can actually drop down some in capacity and still get great instant discharge power with multiple battery set ups.

Wow, that's interesting...

I bought two XP3000's with the original plan that I would have great capacity to play with the car off.

In practice, I don't really ever do that so I could switch from two large batteries to a group of smaller batteries, and maybe some supercaps for fun ;)

and get better dynamic response......

Hmmmmmmmmmm

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Wondering if it is because batteries hold a charge longer? Seen cases where a RF hybrid cap drops voltage when vehicle is off, but holds it while vehicle is running.

Couldn't see someone giving demos all day long with caps alone. Then again, I could be wrong.

i plan on doing that, if caps cant im ditching them lol

i dont see the need for batteries if you have enough caps. Not to mention i can safely charge higher with all caps.

Because you end up wasting more money building a bank of all super caps v/s what you can do with a properly paired battery and super cap combination.

Not that we have been testing for over a year now though to see what ultimately works best. :ph34r:

If you are running something and it works for you, then no one should tell you to run something differently. You are the one running it and it is either working for you or not. If it is working for you then run with it and tell everyone to build their own damn system the way they want to. If it isn't working for you, then thats a different story.

Way too many people want to bash on something, because it isn't what they are running. If it is working for someone and they like/enjoy its performance then who is to tell them they are running the wrong stuff. Until you start paying for someone to run what you want them to run, then you really don't have a horse in the race.

With that said giving your PERSONAL experience about what you have done or giving proven reasons why something SHOULD work better is always a good thing for the forum and in life in general. Thing to keep in mind is what works awesomely in one application, may suck big time in another application that has the same exact equipment.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

I'm glad this actually came out to be a good thread.

All threads should can could turn out like this.

A lot the trash talk we get is because people think we own the forums and pay big money to get our say so. NO we are the only ones on the forums, and yes we pay to be on the forums to be able to come on here and help out and give info on our products. That is what we call marketing and supporting the industry. There are very few companies that actually SUPPORT the industry, but a lot of companies that use the industry to support their company.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

Soooooooo....

Do you have any starting points on a good super cap / battery ratio?

I have no idea how to set guidelines on that explanation. maybe a Farad / AH ratio? ... Im sure you will know what I'm asking nathan.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Archived