Just a thought on batteries and charging systems.

So there has been alot of hoopla here lately about a certain battery holding a higher voltage than anther battery.

Just my thought for the night on this subject. This was also something I saw Nathan(XS Power) post about on Facebook this morning.

A 12v battery will rest anywhere from 12.6v to 13.1v depending on how well you maintain. I have seen a few that are constantly kept on the charger and trained, rest up to about 13.4v.

Ok so if your batteries resting voltage is 13.1v(vehicle off) and then you crank your vehicle, now your voltage becomes 14.4v(alternator charge).

Your alternator is now supplying 1.3v of additional voltage.

You now turn on your system and your voltage drops down to 13.4v. Now remember, your battery is resting at 13.1v.

Guess what guys, your batteries are NOT DOING ANYTHING YET. If you have not gotten down to your batteries resting voltage, then your alternators are supplying all of the power that your amplifiers are drawing.

Lets use the scenario that Your resting voltage on the battery is 13.1v and with vehicle on you are charging at 14.4v again. This time, when you turn you system on, your voltage drops down to 12.6v. NOW you are into your battery power/reserve. THIS is where your battery bank comes into play.

That is the end of my late night rant. Time for bed.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The batteries are still an important part of the charging system, but if you arent into your battery voltage, then you cant say it is the battery that is holding your voltage solid, your alt is doing the work.

Here is a direct quote from XS Power Nathan's FB page this morning.

Just received a message I was told I could share:

Customer - Hey man just want to thank you for these awesome batteries. I am running 6k watts with a 270amp alt on 2 D3100 and my voltage never drops below 13.7v.

Me - Thanks and I don't mean to bust your bubble, but you aren't running 6k or your alt is doing a lot more than 270amp. 12v batteries can not hold you up above 12.9V. If you are never dropping below 13.7V, then your system isn't pulling enough power to go over what your alt is putting out. You are running off of alt power and not even getting to battery power.

so in other words if its getting to 13.1 there is a chance you will see it drop more as you play longer.. if its always at 13.7 the alt is doing its job and your not using your battery reserve there for you wont see more drop. am i correct?

Customer - Hey man just want to thank you for these awesome batteries. I am running 6k watts with a 270amp alt on 2 D3100 and my voltage never drops below 13.7v.

Me - Thanks and I don't mean to bust your bubble, but you aren't running 6k or your alt is doing a lot more than 270amp. 12v batteries can not hold you up above 12.9V. If you are never dropping below 13.7V, then your system isn't pulling enough power to go over what your alt is putting out. You are running off of alt power and not even getting to battery power.

Most interesting ... And it was likely my thread/discussion with SnowDrifter.

It was only about my D3400, & about how I thought there had been some changes after winter storage ... absolutely zero negativity vs. XS Power ... as a matter of fact, as I state in the thread, I am adding a 975 to the system ... so I am very happy with them, I was just learning as different things were being brought up.

Any & ALL info you bring to this Forum is appreciated, CJ ... If anyone turns their nose(s) up at it, eh, to Hell with 'em.

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

there is guarantee if you have a stock alternator on 10 batteries no matter the brand once the bass notes drop so will the voltage.. alternator power is what keeps you in the high 13 even 14.. of course the more batteries the slower the voltage drop will be

I say this all the time when people ask something like "how many extra batteries do I need to run 5k on my oem alternator and not have voltage drop" then someone will chime in with "biggest XS power you can fit under hood and 5 d3100 in rear and you should be ok"

Pisses me off.

This is specifically directed toward the Northstar Battery videos and claims by Purpl Syrup. If you are holding voltage above battery resting, then you arent even into the battery reserve and it isnt doing anything. This is not intended to bash any battery, this intended to get shed so light on so BS that has been going around lately.

so in that case, he pretty much wasted all that money for no reason? with car running, your alt would be supplying power correct? So aslong as you play your system with car running, you won't need a big huge battery bank aslong as you got an adequate alt that can supply the amount of power you need?

interesting thought. So batteries are pretty much only needed if you play your system with your car off, which in case, AH and RC make more sense.

Cool stuff CJ

Archived