Just a thought on batteries and charging systems.

So nathan, does that mean I'm sort of correct that the charge above 12.9 is being held by the battery but being produced by the alternator? So if you had 1d3100 on one bank and you had 15 d3100's on the other bank. Both tests had 300 amps of draw but a 250a alternator (assume its performing to its full 250a without fail)

would the 1 d3100 hold above 12.9v less time then the 15 d3100's because each of those d3100's was storing a bit of energy from the alternator above what they can produce on their own? Or would you only see a difference if it was below the resting voltage of the battery?

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of figured that you weren't dipping into your batteries power until you reached around 12.5v but I was curious if my amplifiers would still get enough ampere's if my system dipped in the battery's power? Would the voltage drop affect my amplifier if the batteries can provide enough amps to feed it?

for wattage to remain the same, as voltage drops amperage must increase. This creates a rise in heat. So yes it does affect your amplifiers, however the extent varies case by case as there are so many variables.

DP.

I kind of figured that you weren't dipping into your batteries power until you reached around 12.5v but I was curious if my amplifiers would still get enough ampere's if my system dipped in the battery's power? Would the voltage drop affect my amplifier if the batteries can provide enough amps to feed it?

for wattage to remain the same, as voltage drops amperage must increase. This creates a rise in heat. So yes it does affect your amplifiers, however the extent varies case by case as there are so many variables.

Thanks, so is this when an amps efficiency comes in to play whether or not the amp will stay play as loud with a voltage drop?

Efficiency and it's ratings to begin with. As long as you are within the safe operating voltage of the amp then you should be fine, and MOST but not all amps are rated at 14.4 volts so they need that to make rated power.

So nathan, does that mean I'm sort of correct that the charge above 12.9 is being held by the battery but being produced by the alternator? So if you had 1d3100 on one bank and you had 15 d3100's on the other bank. Both tests had 300 amps of draw but a 250a alternator (assume its performing to its full 250a without fail)

would the 1 d3100 hold above 12.9v less time then the 15 d3100's because each of those d3100's was storing a bit of energy from the alternator above what they can produce on their own? Or would you only see a difference if it was below the resting voltage of the battery?

Are you talking as if you were playing a test tone or something? Essentially, you are talking about placing a 50 amp load on a single battery or a bank of 15 right? With a draw of 50 amps on the batteries, the larger bank would take 15 times longer to drop to 12.9 than the single battery, though that amount of time is very minimal. Using a DMM you might not even be able to notice. Obviously in that scenario, the larger bank will stay in the 12V operating range much longer than the single battery though.

Edit: my bad, i see that was directed specifically to Nathan

alright so everyone has questions i have one of my own seeing as i only have a odyssey 3400 under my hood sits at 12.8v and drops to 13.8v on long bass notes

my question is with the surface charge would many smaller batteries by more effective to hold the voltage up longer

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

No sir. You completely missed the example. In your example there is a 50a load on 1 battery vs 15... No charging involved. That one is straight forward.

I'm asking if the 15 batteries will hold their 13.0-14.4v surface charge longer then the single battery assuming that there is more draw then the alternator can provide... 300a draw, 250a alternator.

In my example if I'm correct... The 15 batteries would store 15x the surface charge from the alternator... Therefore taking much longer before you exceed the surface charge limits of that bank and the batteries start contributing to holding the voltage up.

My whole question is do the batteries actually store power 14.4-13.0v which I believe to be true. They store the power for the alternator kinda like how a gas tank stores gas for you Inbetween fill ups. Inbetween fill ups I. This example would be where your draw was less then your charging, hence filling the tank.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

No sir. You completely missed the example. In your example there is a 50a load on 1 battery vs 15... No charging involved. That one is straight forward.

I'm asking if the 15 batteries will hold their 13.0-14.4v surface charge longer then the single battery assuming that there is more draw then the alternator can provide... 300a draw, 250a alternator.

In my example if I'm correct... The 15 batteries would store 15x the surface charge from the alternator... Therefore taking much longer before you exceed the surface charge limits of that bank and the batteries start contributing to holding the voltage up.

My whole question is do the batteries actually store power 14.4-13.0v which I believe to be true. They store the power for the alternator kinda like how a gas tank stores gas for you Inbetween fill ups. Inbetween fill ups I. This example would be where your draw was less then your charging, hence filling the tank.

If you are talking about a constant draw of 300A, meaning not on music, but like a test tone, and a constant output of 250A from an alternator then obviously this is hypothetical but how does that vary from just a straight draw of 50 amps on the battery(ies)?

Smaller batteries = fewer plates.

right i guess i was looking at cells i suppose more plates per cell in a bigger battery or it would be more cells with less plates per battery idk i don't want to confuse anyone

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Are you talking as if you were playing a test tone or something? Essentially, you are talking about placing a 50 amp load on a single battery or a bank of 15 right? With a draw of 50 amps on the batteries, the larger bank would take 15 times longer to drop to 12.9 than the single battery, though that amount of time is very minimal. Using a DMM you might not even be able to notice. Obviously in that scenario, the larger bank will stay in the 12V operating range much longer than the single battery though.

Edit: my bad, i see that was directed specifically to Nathan

No problem there man. As RFE said you would be dividing that pull between the 15 batteries v/s pulling it all from 1 battery, so yes the 15 would drop slower, but as also said you may never see it on the dmm that way.

Same basic thing as charging a battery v/s a bank of batteries. Lets say you have a Group 31 battery and a bank of 10 Group 31 batteries you had to charge with a 15amp charger. If you are charging the one battery, then it is going to get the entire 15amps. When you hook that same charger up to the bank of 10 Group 31 batteries, then you are going to get 1.5amps per battery and it will take much longer to charge them up.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

Archived