I really want to see a thread discussing the various ways to assemble a battery bank. What works, what doesn't, and why?

I have heard several extremely compelling arguments for theories on how best to wire a battery bank in order to achieve consistent charging and discharging across the bank. However, I have yet to see anyone provide any solid data to back these these theories up.

Something I HAVE seen is a number of different wiring methods being successfully put to use in both daily drivers and SPL vehicles alike, which has only made me question if any one method is truly better than another

Personally in my own vehicle, i have a small bank of 3 group 31 batteries connected via busbar. I have both a pos(+) and a neg(-) charging lead from under the hood connected to each end of the bank, and the pos(+) and neg(-) leads from the amplifier connected in the center, with the thought being to distribute the leads as equally as possible across the bank. However i have noticed that a lot of guys are connecting their leads only at the ends of the bank, almost as if to force current to be drawn through the bank and not from it.

Anyways what do you guys think? any pictures of how your bank is set up? anybody done any testing on this?

batterybanktime_zpsf272636b.png

Power running from your battery bank to your amps from the closest point to the amps. Make all of your negative and positive runs of wire the same exact length no matter how far they are running. Multiple GOOD grounds and remember the more surface area you have for the power to travel the less resistance you run into.

One way to think about surface area and resistance is like this. You have 100,000 gallons of water to fill a pool up with. Do you want to sit there holding small garden hose the entire time filling it up or use a fire hose to fill it up?

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

Power running from your battery bank to your amps from the closest point to the amps. Make all of your negative and positive runs of wire the same exact length no matter how far they are running. Multiple GOOD grounds and remember the more surface area you have for the power to travel the less resistance you run into.

One way to think about surface area and resistance is like this. You have 100,000 gallons of water to fill a pool up with. Do you want to sit there holding small garden hose the entire time filling it up or use a fire hose to fill it up?

I have learned so much from you today lol

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Can you please explain this a bit more? I have a pretty good idea of why but am not 100% certain.

I have learned so much from you today lol

It is what we are here for! Just wish there was more time to be on here and help.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

So in other words, the ability for current to flow freely within the bank is more important than where it is coming from or going to. assuming all other things are equal, the arrangement of the leads connected to the bank doesn't really matter?

Archived