C-pillar wall thoughts.

IMG_0452_zps7bb46971.jpg

Had a buddy come by today to help me with a few things I needed a spare set of hands for and brought me this Sky High cable. Absurdly over-sided 2/0 cable compared to the welding cable I've got in the past. Never really heard of Sky High, but if the rest of their cable is as nice as this stuff I would highly recommend checking them out!

IMG_0451_zps6082a2f3.jpg

IMG_0450_zps0942fe8a.jpg

IMG_0449_zps41e2d98e.jpg

Some thunderstorms coming so that's a wrap for today. I'll need to gather up some supplies to carpet and finish things off.

Initial testing I'm very impressed. It's as loud or louder than I expected and the response is about right for my musical tastes. Still lots of things to do and experiment with, but it's plenty functional to play music and I can FINALLY have this big arse amp mounted so that I can show it off.

As it sets I could probably use another battery or two on this Crown amp, I think the Minotaurs should be fine when I switch up to those but I'd like to round out the summer with the A6000GTI.

Oh and to answer my own original question in case anybody finds this thread searching the same topic:

Yeah go for the C-Pillar wall, totally worth it.

How is it musically? Like B pillar walls sound weird to me versus a box in the back of an SUV, even playing the same frequency. Something about letting the wave develop, blah, blah, but it just sounds off. You know what I mean? You get that at all?

But fuck yeah man, that amp looks badass back there. You gonna finish the panel at all? I think I remember you saying not until you get on the road and get fabric right? But Sky High is good shit, I'm using their 1/0ga and 8ga. I like their 8ga better than Knu's, Knu is actually too big, makes it tough to fit into some holes.

I'll say it again, that amp looks bitchin. Just need to finish the panel though.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Oh and to answer my own original question in case anybody finds this thread searching the same topic:

How is it musically? Like B pillar walls sound weird to me versus a box in the back of an SUV, even playing the same frequency. Something about letting the wave develop, blah, blah, but it just sounds off. You know what I mean? You get that at all?

But fuck yeah man, that amp looks badass back there. You gonna finish the panel at all? I think I remember you saying not until you get on the road and get fabric right? But Sky High is good shit, I'm using their 1/0ga and 8ga. I like their 8ga better than Knu's, Knu is actually too big, makes it tough to fit into some holes.

I'll say it again, that amp looks bitchin. Just need to finish the panel though.

So far I'm really happy. Keep in mind the C-Pillar wall still keeps a fair distance between your listening position and the woofers.

I plan to carpet everything and possibly fill in around the sides on the back side with some trim pieces. Like I said, I'm like 100 miles from a fabric store...and that's not even that I know one exists, just that's the nearest real city that should have something. I'll be building something to hide the batteries better and tuck away the wiring as well.

Of course once I buy materials I'll be at the mercy of recruiting someone to help me unmount and mount the amp. It's definitely NOT a solo project! I definitely plan to clean this up a lot, but if I wait a week I may also come up with some other things I'd like to mess with when I take the amp down for a day.

thats one bigass amp

Yeah. You really notice it when you're trying to make room to mount it. When I bought it I saw the pictures and knew it was big, but you really don't realize until you are standing next to it and you're like "what the fuck have I got myself into?"

So far I'm really happy. Keep in mind the C-Pillar wall still keeps a fair distance between your listening position and the woofers.

I plan to carpet everything and possibly fill in around the sides on the back side with some trim pieces. Like I said, I'm like 100 miles from a fabric store...and that's not even that I know one exists, just that's the nearest real city that should have something. I'll be building something to hide the batteries better and tuck away the wiring as well.

Of course once I buy materials I'll be at the mercy of recruiting someone to help me unmount and mount the amp. It's definitely NOT a solo project! I definitely plan to clean this up a lot, but if I wait a week I may also come up with some other things I'd like to mess with when I take the amp down for a day.

Yeah, there still is a good amount of room, that's why I'm wondering if you can hear a difference. Only a couple feet, but I guess that could do it.

I hear ya about getting the carpet and actually doing it. Those amps are heavy as fuck.

How about some videos?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Metered 151.5 on the dash the other day while driving. I'm really happy with that as a starting point since there's plenty of things that I could do to gain on the meter and it's plenty loud for just driving around.

I'm trying to find some carpet to clean things up now and I plan to experiment with the port at some point also.

I'm not a big video guy but somebody may take some at the Sanford show in a couple weeks.

Archived