Sundown Audio

The amp has a remote gain control including the gain control on the amp ? Another suggestion not sure if this is stupid but what if I ran the sub at 8 ohms ?

Yeah that wasn't my question. So I'm gonna say its too much power. If you run the sub at 8 ohms that will definitely decrease the power going to the sub. It would work technically but not what I would. So here you go. Build your box to whatever it is that makes you happy. 3.5 cubes or less. The reason you don't want it any bigger is because you have too much power going to it and in a big box that thing will bottom out like theres no tomorrow. Bad news for the woofer. So build your box and then set your gain right. Here is how you do it:

Get and o-scope or DD-1 and with the woofers unhooked turn up the gain until it clips. Look at the knob and see where it is pointing. Look at the distance in relation to 0. Turn it down about 1/4 or even 1/3 of the way towards 0. Now carefully pull the knob off or put tape over it and don't ever touch it again. Then go and plug in the remote gain and turn it all the way up and make sure there is not clipping. If it clips throw that POS away because you don't need it. If it doesn't clip then you're good and just refrain from turning the remote gain all the way up while playing.