Excessive voltage drop

On my 12v system, I usually sit from 13.6-14+ like normal but when I am up to full tilt I can drop from 14 to 12!

I hit 11.3-11.5 full tilt with crescendo bc2000 @.8ohm

none fucks are given.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your alt isn't charging at idle

Most shops will test them for free just FYI

The voltage drop going to your amps, I'm a bit concerned about that. Could you verify all connections and fuses are tight/secure. Also post pics of grounds. Are you crimped or soldered?

Have you ever taken the front plate off your stinger meter to calibrate it?

How old are your batts? If it isn't your alt (even though it most likely is) then you might have bad battery. I would unhook them and let them sit. Check the voltage difference. Charge them separately and see if they hold a charge just sitting for a day. IMO Any reading of 12.5 or lower after that and its a bad battery

I won't be able to post pics soon but ground/fuses have all been checked. The stinger is dead nuts at idle, I recalibrated it a couple days ago. The wiring is all crimped not soldered. It is not only not charging at idle but during driving either. All it will do is stop around 12.4-12.6 then drop to low-mid 11's when turned up and go straight back to 12.4-12.6 when turned back down and never start to recharge. It's driving me nuts because I can't even turn it up!! Lol

2017 Honda Accord Touring 

Build coming soon

How old are your batts? If it isn't your alt (even though it most likely is) then you might have bad battery. I would unhook them and let them sit. Check the voltage difference. Charge them separately and see if they hold a charge just sitting for a day. IMO Any reading of 12.5 or lower after that and its a bad battery

They both rest at 13 after a full charge.

Build coming soon

Now today after idling for 10 mins or so the whole system is sitting at 12.6, alt included. Is that normal? I thought it should be 13.5-14...

I currently been going through a learning process with alternators due to the fact I had mine rebuilt. 12.8V is resting voltage so if your car is running at idle and you got around 12.8V its not charging.. If you rev up your rpms does your voltage increase any? Chances are your brushes are worn down to much. Its time for a new alternator. You should be 13.5 V or higher at idle unless you have modified your alternator anyway.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I would check your voltage at the alternator itself for the most accurate voltage reading.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Now today after idling for 10 mins or so the whole system is sitting at 12.6, alt included. Is that normal? I thought it should be 13.5-14...

I currently been going through a learning process with alternators due to the fact I had mine rebuilt. 12.8V is resting voltage so if your car is running at idle and you got around 12.8V its not charging.. If you rev up your rpms does your voltage increase any? Chances are your brushes are worn down to much. Its time for a new alternator. You should be 13.5 V or higher at idle unless you have modified your alternator anyway.

I measured the voltage again at the alt and it was 12.8. I measured it while running 2k rpm and no change, not even a .1... So now that Im alternator shopping Im thinking mechman but also have talked to JS Ultimate Sounds. I can't find much on what he does but he seems like a decent enough guy. Anybody had one of his alts?

Build coming soon

I measured the voltage again at the alt and it was 12.8. I measured it while running 2k rpm and no change, not even a .1... So now that Im alternator shopping Im thinking mechman but also have talked to JS Ultimate Sounds. I can't find much on what he does but he seems like a decent enough guy. Anybody had one of his alts?
Considering you have a newer vehicle finding a HO alternator shouldn't be a issue, shop around. Mechman, DC, Stinger, and theres a few others. just thought I would list the nuthuggin brands for the SMD support.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Archived