Philrab's Mazda3 daily driver/kid hauler

Finally pics of the new head unit. Nothing special or flashy, but it's got the goods.

ljz6CBQ.jpg

Wasn't sure how I'd feel about dropping the (admittedly cheap) double din touch screen for a really well performing single din, but I'm definitely liking all the extra storage space in the center stack now. Going to tweak it a little here and there to make it fit nicer, and glue some black felt or similar fabric on the bottoms of both cubbies to stop crap from rattling and sliding around.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Curious, what does the screen now display with the stock radio out? Time and temp?

Just the temperature. The brackets for the chintzy ass Metra kit didn't even fit, so I jettisoned it and installed the provided pocket (that's the black hole above the radio under the hazard light switch). Perfect size for an iPhone 5 in an otterbox case, so it worked out.

Forgot to mention, I finally measured my fiberglass enclosure for airspace (bought it used from someone that fab'd it and sold their car). 0.2 cu ft. No freaking wonder my sub didn't like to hit low notes (range for an ID8 is 0.2 to 0.4. I stuffed 0.3 lbs (weighed it out) of polyfill in there following the 1.5 lbs per cu ft general rule. Sounds like it's getting a bit lower, may have too much. If I had someone with a TL near me, I'd play with it to see if I'm losing a lot of output, but honestly I've got the sub dialed down so far to keep from overpowering the mids it's not a huge issue right now. That polyfill was STUFFED in there.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Did a little work today. I knew I had some air leaks in my enclosure, albeit none very severe. I sealed up all the leaks except for the damned terminal cup. Since its a fiberglass enclosure, not totally sure how I'm going to seal this thing and run wires through. Am definitely hearing the noise from the air leaks though with the enclosure as small as it is. Also realizing that literally EVERY piece of trim in the hatch is vibrating. I never would have though that one 8" could cause all that.

Also pulled all the polyfill out of the enclosure. Just gonna play with it till I decide if it sounds better with or without.

Also, watched voltage while whanging on my sub, lowest voltage got was 12.5 for just one second, otherwise held steady from 13.4 down to 12.9. Considering that's stock alternator, at idle, no upgraded or extra batteries I'm pretty pleased with that. (Battery rests at 12.5, alternator is usually 13.4) Not sure how things will hold up when I add the four channel amp, but for now I'm happy with the voltage drop.

Build Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Box building and sub upgrade are now taking a back seat as my wife and I consolidate our home finances. Hopefully won't set me back more than a month or two.

On the up side, finally read the goddamned instructions for my HU's digital time alignment and realized I had shit completely ass backwards. Sounds much better now, except for the constant feeling of being such a jackass it took me this long to figure out.

Build Thread

• 2 weeks later...

New subwoofer. Image Dynamics ID8 sounded okay, but didn't have a prayer of taking what my amp could dish out. After nuking a coil and breaking the cone off the top of the former, I figured I'd post mortem and bury it.

Infinity 860W in place now, svc 4 ohm so my amp will only dish out 300 watts to the sub's 250rms. Sounds much cleaner, not stressed. Also retuned the amp with the -5 db track on my DD1, set with the sub output maxed (sub output to 0, I had the gain cranked and still no clipping, wasn't giving full 4v out.) I then dialed it back from +15 to +11 to take it easy on the sub while it breaks in. Boogered up the carpet on the box, may rewrap it or bedline it, we'll see.

VunuxWX.jpg

Differences are pretty obvious. Basket was larger, magnet was beefier, slight loss in cone area but MUCH beefier surround. This sub looks like it'll be a winner. It'll make for a nice daily sub, and I'll build a big ported box for a 12" next.

Build Thread

I picked up those same Inifinity's off of a buddy who did competition audio for years. Throughout his competitive use, and my 3 years of total hell on them, they still manage to stay as clear as they were when they were hot out of the box. Good choice in speakers. Nice, clean build on the rest of the car also.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

I picked up those same Inifinity's off of a buddy who did competition audio for years. Throughout his competitive use, and my 3 years of total hell on them, they still manage to stay as clear as they were when they were hot out of the box. Good choice in speakers. Nice, clean build on the rest of the car also.

Thanks. The Infinity and stealthbox are going to stay installed for days when I need my whole hatch, but they're going to be secondary to the SA12 I ordered this morning. That, in a 2 cu ft box, tuned to 33-35 hz, ought to be really nasty.

Build Thread

Liking the Infinity so far. Have been slowly upping the volume a bit at a time (trying to guard against burning this one down) but I'm pretty sure the issue I had was a mismatch between a sub rated for 150rms and an amp dishing out 500 @2ohms. The Infinity is rated for 250, and has a 4 ohm load so less than 300 coming out of the amp (rated 300rms @ 14.4 volts, probably in the neighborhood of 270 or so at 13 volts, what my system sits at under load). Sounds freaking awesome BTW.

In other news, I got bombed yesterday by Fedex, UPS, and USPS. Shopping list was as follows:

For the business:

Router, Jigsaw, and Circular Saw for enclosure building, router bits, and 4 tubes of Titebond. Gotta make a Lowes run for lumber to build a decent workbench hopefully this Saturday if I can wrangle my old man and his pickup truck. Also grabbed a CC-1 for setting crossovers.

For me/the car:

More Skyhigh wiring for the big 3, Sundown SA12 D4, and a pack of 4 gauge gromets.

On the to do list for the next several weekends.

Get my workshop setup. Build the work bench, complete with a little shelf to put the table saw at the level of the work surface, figure out how I want to go around a nice big fence for making some big rips. Panel saw ain't anywhere near my budget, but I figure I can get close to the same precision with a little ingenuity and being careful. Also, gotta do some rearanging and cleaning up to get things organized.

Big 3 my car, and beef up the power wire. When I originally ran my power wire, I had NO INTENTION of getting back into car audio (I know) and I ran only an 8 gauge. That's not going to cut it for adding another amp, so I'm rerunning with SHCA 4 gauge to a fused distribution block.

JL 320.4 under the driver seat, tap into the speaker wiring behind the head unit, amp the coaxials in the back of the car and the components in the front doors.

Build a 2 cu ft. ported enclosure, tuned to 33 hz for that Sundown SA12. I'm worried about losing output, but I don't want the SA12 to be too peaky so I'm deviating from Sundown's rec of tuning to 35 hz. Hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt later. WinISD (I know it isn't perfect) is alluding to a really big spike in output around 32 hz, which I'd like to shallow out a little. Tuning to 33 hz should keep my response a little flatter, with a gentle roll up from 80hz to 45, and flat'ish to 32, then rolling back off. I'll set the high pass on my mids to 60hz to make sure I've got some overlap, probably low pass the sub at 80.

Think that'll keep me busy for a month or so. After all that, I've got a spare 8" woofer lying around without a home, thinking about trying my hand at a Tline or a 4th order bandpass, just for shits and giggles.

Build Thread

Archived