Sundown Audio

Those rings are normally put in to hold the spiders down while drying when built.

They are not really needed, and if you where able to salvage the ring and screws that are caked full of glue props to you, but just clamping the spider down will work just as well until the ca glue cures.

I have rebuilt several sa-8s and never once took the time to get that ring cleaned, and never used it, and never had an issue.

At first I was just prepping the cage. Sanding everything real good. Before I started the process I went online just to make sure I wasn't missing something (every speaker is different) ad saw where someone removed the spider ring in pieces.

The screws were actually in from the outside of the cage. So there was no glue on the heads of them. Smart idea whoever did that.

You dont need it if you dont want to use it. if you got the screws and feel like using it go head.

But it will be a challenge to use it on a drop in style recone since when these rings are used the coil and spider assembly are glued up, then get glued onto the basket where the ring then gets screwed down, after that the cone gets glued onto the former.

With the drop in recone all one piece it will be a bit harder to glue everything down, then try to gain access to screw down the ring between the surround and basket at least on the 1.5s, but they are using a much thinner ring. But you could use it and screw them in from the outside like before if you wanted, like you said its not really a bad idea if they where on the outside previously.

if your using CA Glue on the spider landing, a nice bead of glue and a clamp between each basket leg will be fine, just be sure to allow the glue to cure for a full 24hours before playing since activator/accelerator only cures the outside of the glue.

image_20427.jpg

Edited by Audiofanaticz