Hi, I hope I am posting this in the correct section of the forum. I recently acquired a second subwoofer. My amp (Pioneer GM3500T) is a 2 channel with the option to bridge. originally I had 1 sub running off each of the channels at 4 OHMs (what the amp is rated for). I then decided that the results werent too good so I tried wiring them in parallel. As both the subs are 4 ohm the load should be 2ohm I cannot find anywhere on the pioneer website about this amp being wired at 2 ohms. I was testing it and it seemed fine plus the subs were ALOT louder. It also didnt seem to get too hot at all. So my question is: Is it ok to have the amp at 2ohms?

NOTE THE SYSTEM IS IN MY ROOM

System:

1 x Pioneer TSWX 303 in seperate box (4 ohm SVC, about 1 year old)

1 x Pioneer TSW 300r in seperate box (4 ohm SVC, dont know age but i know it is much older than other sub)

1 x Pioneer GM3500t [2x 200W (4 Ω) or 1 x 400W (bridged) (4Ω), I have it wired at 2Ω BRIDGED without problem)

1 x 500 watt PSU which gives about 390 watts 12v

Voltage at any ohm level is 12.4 without playing and 12.05 at higher than listening volume.

Current system (NO CAR FFS):
1 x Pioneer TSWX303
1 x Pioneer TSW300r
1 x Pioneer GM3500t @ 1ohm (NOT RATED FOR THAT LOAD)

Subscribe to me on YouTube: youtube.com/user/purebasshavoc

I DO BASS BOOSTS THAT AREN'T DISTORTED AS HELL

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have a 2 channel amp bridged to 2 ohm mono. This is not a good thing and you will eventually fry the amp.

That is the problem with 2 channel amps. They aren't really meant for subs, even though they can and will work. A normal 2 channel amp can do any speaker hooked up to each channel at 4 or 2 ohm STEREO (each ch being used normally/separately). When you bridge a normal speaker(s) or sub(s) to it, it usually does it in 4 ohm MONO. This is normal operation for almost all 2 and 4 channel amps.

Now forcing it into 2 ohm MONO will work, but will damage the amp over time or if turned up.

This is what mono sub amps are made for, and if you want more power, i'd suggest selling the amp and getting one instead.

Archived