Product: MX 12"

Manufactured by: Resonant Engineering

Purchased/received from: Superior Sound (Authorized RE Dealer at the time)

Specs

Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.503

Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 3.206

Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.434

Free Air Resonance -Fs: 23.165 Hz

Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 59.0 liters

One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 22 mm

Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 83.5 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area -Sd: 480 cm^2

DC Resistance -Re: 1.4 ohm

Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 1/2 ohm

Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 1500 W

Force Factor -Bl: 14.56

I walked into the shop with the full intention of buying a 05 XXX 15" and had not heard anythign about the RE MX at that time. Well i hadnt heard of it because i was the first to get one :). I listened to it on the sound board with about 400rms going to it in a 1.9cube 36hz box and the thing slammed, so i bought it and a Planet Audio vx2200d. I had Ray (Audio Innovations) design and build me a box at that time as i knew nothing about this sub and ended up with a 1.7 cube 37hz box for it. The next weekend i installed the MX 12 in my 90 Accord with the VX2200d, after about 3 months of upgrading electrical and messing with box placement, i was ablr to achieve a 150.2 in the kick sealed up on my own TL sensor. The sub sounded great, but i honestly couldn't tell a difference when i had about 2500rms on it and when i had 1500rms on it to the ear. The look in my opinion of the sub is great, it has a huge beefy surround, 4" voice coil and Neodymium magnet. So its rather light for the punch it puts out, and most of the weight is in the basket of the unit.

Pro:

Sucks up power

Very Rugged

gets loud off low power in the right installation

Its not very heavy for what it is.

Con:

Cost, its 500ish to get a 12" version of one of these, and 500 isnt a small amount of money for myself so it was a bit of a purchase.

Sounded Horrible in a sealed box i tested it in, output was probably a quarter of what it was in my ported enclosures.

Loudness

was louder then the 05 XXX 12 i previously owned by about 3db in my installation

SQ:

when i first bought it , it sounded better then the old XXX, but later down the line i bought another 05 XXX while still owning the MX and the XXX was a but more accurate then the MX, and carried the lows a little better as well.

Cost to Performance Ratio - 6 out of 10

I expected it to be as loud as it was for the price it was. Had it not don't what it did, in my opinion it would have been a complete failure

Performance - 9 out of 10

Did everything the salesman (Ryan Autry) told me it would do and then some.

Customer Service - 10 out of 10

The first mx i got the speaker terminals were all stripped, no matter i took it right back grabbed another one off the sales floor that was still sealed from RE and problem was solved, it was as painless as it could get.

Repeat buy - 6 out of 10

If i got a deal on some of these i'd totally buy a few and run them again, but at the price i paid for my first one, i dont think i'd make the purchase again.

Overall Score 6.5 out of 10

Although its a great sub you have to pay to play for this unit. and i much rather enjoy 2 of some other subs rather then 1 ogf this particular one.