Sonic Electronix

Hi guys new to the forum need some help understanding these different "hertz settings"

My amp has a crossover frequency from 40 Hz to 130 Hz, and my subwoofer is supposedly set to 32Hz. My door speakers are, according to the box 49-31000Hz. My understanding is that the crossover frequency is the point at which the amp takes over the speaker, vice versa. But on my headunit I have got different setting for LPF, HPF and Slope, please could someone explain what these different things are and how i can tune them to give me optimum sound?

Please go easy on me if I have said anything wrong i am partially new to this

thanks guys

What the crossover does is allow u to set what frequencies go to your speakers/subs. The low pass filters block out everything above what u set them at. So say u set a low pass filter at 80hz that means anything above 80hz won't go to the sub. The high pass filter does the exact opposite. It blocks out everything below what frequency u set it at. U use the low pass filter for subs because they are ment to produce lower frequencies and the high pass filter for speakers because they are made to produce higher frequencies and lower frequencies can damage them. Tipically some one will set the low pass for the subs at 80hz and then the high pass for the speakers at 80hz that way the subs play everything below 80 and the speakers play everything above 80. I just use 80hz as a example because it really depends on what you are using and the sound u are looking for on how u set your crossover. Both amps and head units have crossovers usually. But u don't need to set both of them. I personally use the crossover on the amp and leave the crossover on the head unit turned off. U can do it ether way but there is no need to use both.

Ok so on your deck the LPF would be for your subwoofer. you can set it to 100hz or 80hz but anything under those numbers will be played. THe HPF is for your vocal speakers so you can set it to 80hz or lower if your speakers can handle it. So if you set the HPF to 80hz your vocal speakers will play 80hz and up.

LPF and HPF do not cut the frequenqy exactly off at 80hz it will have a slope that quiets the frequencies after or before 80hz depending on if your using the LPF or HPF

So if your LPF is at 80hz you can set the slope to be -12 db or -24db these slopes will have an effect on the frequencies above 80hz to drop off faster.

2004 Grand Marquis
AA Mayhem 18
Crescendo 3500d
6.5's AQ Pro Audio
AQ Super Tweets
Image Dynamics 6x9
Soundqubed 125.4
MB Quart 80.4
144.2 db

GONZO

2013 Chrysler 300S

Granite Crystal Metallic Exterior

Inferno Red Interior

5.7 HEMI AWD

LMI Air Hammer Intake

Corsa exhaust

Custom Tune

I didn't read their responses, but just a quick cover is that LPF is a Low-Pass filter allowing frequencies pass through to the speaker under the number you set it to, and the HPF is a High-Pass filter allowing frequencies above the number set pass through to the speaker.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived