Second Skin Audio

Cutting out and bottoming out

Evan12

I just installed my sundown zv4 15 to my Hifonics 2000 amp down to 1 ohm. When I play my songs and turn it up the amp cuts out and the subwoofer bottoms out at a very low level. I'm not an idiot and turn the gain all the way up it's almost halfway up. I'm very confused on what could be wrong

So your gain was set by ear then?

I don't think that sub can be bottomed out very easily, you may be hearing noise from the enclosure itself? Who built it and who designed it? Pictures will help greatly, as well as setting the gain PROPERLY with a tool such as a DD-1 or oscilloscope.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I built it myself. I've built many ported boxes and they all worked out good. Since I'm on my phone I can't add pictures. The dimesions are

19 tall

41 wide

17.5 deep

The port is 3.25 wide and 20 inches long

Without seeing the box, no way can I tell. Dimensions alone will not help in this situation.

That subwoofer should be hard as shit to find a hard bottom. Not impossible, but seems unlikely to me. You can confirm that you set your gains by ear then, right?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Actually if im not mistaken, there is nothing obstructing the bottom of the coil from the back plate except the spider. You may "soft bottom" of too much power. And btw it took me 3500rms clamped to soft bottom a zv4 15 in 4 cubes. I did however have a faulty amp one time, at loud volumes the sub would suck in and play,not really a bottom out "didnt hear no clacking ect" it just sucked inwards like the suspension got forced back. Swapped the amp,problem solved. Do you hear any metal to metal clacking? Or is it like a turbulent rubber paper sound?

So your gain was set by ear then?

I don't think that sub can be bottomed out very easily, you may be hearing noise from the enclosure itself? Who built it and who designed it? Pictures will help greatly, as well as setting the gain PROPERLY with a tool such as a DD-1 or oscilloscope.

I think it wasn't set by ear since he hears that the setting is wrong...

I agree that pictures might help, although a video of the problem would work pretty good too.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived