Second Skin Audio

Cheap cheap subs went from sealed boz to ported 36 hertz.. no increase??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ported doesn't mean louder. Lower tuning yields a lower increase in output. Considering it's tuned on the lower side you may yield a 1-2 DB gain. Unless you have an spl meter there's no way to tell unless you're a wild cat of some sort. Also considering tuning to 36hz has about the same roll off as a sealed enclosure the response would be nearly identical.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Why not post up box specs and subs and let the box guys check it out. There's a lot of talented guys on this site that will

help. Post up EXACTLY what you have and you will get a answer I'm sure of it.

Ported box was "custom built" stealing a Kicker box design. The subs are entry level at their absolute finest. I'm just not sure how there was not a difference. If it had been worse, that would've been 1 thing. But it was almost exactly the same to a T. Same songs that I know hit, hot the same, and songs that didn't hit low before were just a lil more clean and not as muffled. I know most of u guys have way better equipment than I do, so I thank yall for even trying to help, sincerely

So the box was not custom built for these subs. Kicker boxes suck, build a box built to the specs of these subs and there will be a difference. When I first got into car audio I had some cheap ass 150w rms jbl subs. Built a ported box, matched to the specs the subs needed, shit wanged so much harder than the shitty sealed box I had it in prior.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The subs are 2 12" "throwback"(lol) Pyramid Super Blues. Model 1254 These subs are probably at least 15 years old but they still serve their purpose. I know the obvious is to get better subs, but that's not what I'm asking. How do I post a pic of the specs from my phone to here? I don't see an option. And the box was bought at a shop as a generic custom. Meaning they actually put a decent port on it, but it's still generic in that it's not specific for any 1 sub. The employee was the 1 that told me they took the design from a Kicker box. It was the first time I've seen what does appear to be a prefab have a port of that size. When at full tilt, the subs actually seem like they're not in enough airspace. The port is pushing out what seems to be alot of air, but it doesn't seem to be adding any output. Again thanks for all the help and time guys

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

Afternoon bump for my Super Blue's lol

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

Those pyramid super blues needed 2cuft sealed. Iirc. Good luck building a ported enclosure for them I would bet 3cubes per sub at least.

right

id expect they work better in a sealed enclosure..

not rocket science ... :shrug:

3rd loudest/violent build ive ever had was 2 15's in a sealed big enclosure..

Fucker would drop those 1980's bass tapes/cds (dj magic mike, 95 south) like a mother fucker.....

Ported doesn't mean louder. Lower tuning yields a lower increase in output. Considering it's tuned on the lower side you may yield a 1-2 DB gain. Unless you have an spl meter there's no way to tell unless you're a wild cat of some sort. Also considering tuning to 36hz has about the same roll off as a sealed enclosure the response would be nearly identical.

you can definitely tell a 1-2 dB increase.....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived