Second Skin Audio

Need help building an enclosure in a 1997 ford explorer/kicker l7

I just purchased a 1997 ford explorer and I am going to build my first sub box as i sold my round subs and i cannot find any prefab boxes for the solobarics. I am wondering if someone could tell me the best way to build a box for a dual 12 inch l7 setup, i have about 40 inches between the wheel wells and plenty of space between the back seat and the hatch. I am hoping someone could give me a cut sheet and a sketch up of the box perhaps? I would prefer the subs and the port be on the same face just as a preference and i would also like to know if having seperate ports for each sub is better, such as a port on each outer wall or should i build a shared port in the middle? If someone figured it will sound better to have the ports facing the door and the subs facing up or visa versa i am open to suggestion. Any feedback is much appreciated.

The usual setup for SUV's is subs up and port back. A single port generally gives the best performance and uses the least amount of material/space. How much power are you going to put to these?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Right now I have a Hertz hp2 which is either 600rms per channel in 2 channel mode at 2 ohms or 1200rms in mono at 4 ohms so they will be slightly under powered for now but i am going to upgrade eventually its just what i have left over from my previous 500 rms subs so it sufficed for those. I was thinking of using the design off of this thread http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167593-box-design-ported-2-kicker-l7-12s/ but i just wanted to get some input if that was the best option for my vehicle.

If the design Joe X posted in that other thread will fit your space well I'd go with it. It is going to work as well as anything.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Subs up port back in the center is most definitely the most common setup in Explorers.

But, I've also seen subs up port side do VERY well.

I say try a few different boxes if possible. Testing never hurt anyone.

TEAM SOUTH Bassahaulic Productions

The ONLY Bright Atlantic Blue DiamondBoxx L

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Yah you go with that box Joe X designed or you could try a slightly larger box because of the power you running. I would do a box at about 6 - 6.5 cubes personally.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

So I'm not an expert with torres but if I add 4 inches to the width of that box and 1 inch to the depth I'm getting about 6.4 cubic feet (tuned to 31.51 hz, or if I widen the port to 4.5 inch i get 33.28hz, or 5 inch port i get 34.96hz), would that be too much? if I just add 4 inches to the width and keep the height at 20 inches I get 6.01 cubic feet what should I go with (tuned at 32.54 hz)? These subs call for 3.2 cubic feet for maximum bass, but I am not 100% on using torres as I don't know my subs displacement, or bracing displacement. I'm not positive on what the box should be tuned to for the best lows and such

You will be fine. General rule is 12-16 sq inches of port area so for 6.5 cubes it will be around 104 sq inches. Better you tune to around 35 hz cause it will give the best of both low and upper bass.

L7x2_zps95e64794.jpg

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Archived