Second Skin Audio

At how much should I set my LPF?

ReaperX

Hey guys,

I recently installed my subs (two RF T2D415 with a RF T2500)....but Im feeling there is something missing in the beats, some higher frequencies I guess

So.....my LPF is set at 63 hz at both my pioneer HU and my amp

Can I set it higher like 125 Hz? A friend of mine told me if I want to listen to reggae or rock/metal around 125 Hz is good, my box is tuned to 35 Hz

So IDK if in order to listen to those frequencies I should REALLY buy some midbass drivers or if my subs can reproduce those for now (while I dont have the money)

Im asking because I heard subs are damaged by higher frequencies and I dont have much experience with quality subs as these (usually I messed around with $50 subs that I wouldnt care if they got damaged or not)

Thanks

How high are you trying to play 125? Personally i wouldnt play that high in a box tuned to 35hz. I would rebuild the box if your trying to play that high with your equipment.

125hz is mid bass range for me. My subs would never see that freq.

Try setting it to 80 for now but i think your tuned too low to play up that high safely and as loud as you may want.

In the DD-1 (maybe it was CC-1) manual it recommends as low as 63 Hz for 15" subs (other variables as well) but if I was you I would try 80 Hz. Try the HU one off and use the amps LPF. You would need a CC-1 though to get it to 80 otherwise you are just guessing. Also, since you are running the T2500 I am just curious if your "infrasonic filter" (per RF) is on or off? just curious.

Try some settings changes before you redo the box. Also, you got pics. of box? slot port or...??

Also, the songs you play may or may not sound good depending on the frequencies in the songs. Your tuning plays a role here as well.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Hey Guys,

No, Im not playing at 125 Hz yet, wanted to confirm with you guys if its safe before

Well...I think you are right....125 is high for that tuning

Going to try 80 today, then I will let you guys know what hapenned, also Im going to take some pics (I have to open a build log! have all the pics)

My subsonic filter on the RF amp is turned OFF

i crank my low pass, i wanna hear every note of bass and i dont care. if my sub can play it i wanna hear it.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

You aren't going to damage your sub(s) by having your LPF set too high. You might get poor integration with your midrange speakers which will result in much less than ideal sound quality, but you certainly are not going to hurt anything. Feel free to play around with it until it sounds to the best to you.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I have my LPF set to 90hz and im tuned to 32hz it sounds fine if i set my LPF to 60hz i lose a lot of punch or kick notes. i would not set it to 125hz though as it starts to sounds really bad/ muddy for me. i agree with triticum just mess with it till it sounds right to you. Try turning up your LPF on your amp all the way up and just use your headunit LPF it should sound better. When you use both it creates phasing issues.

Use the amplifier's or the HU's LPF only, NOT both. Doing such can create a funky crossover setting. For instance, you say it's set at 63Hz for both the amp and the HU. Now IF both were 12dB/Oct crossovers, you effectively have a 31.5Hz LPF being used. Right?

However, the HU's crossover is likely 12dB/Oct and the amplifier's is surely 24dB/oct. The Amp's LPF can not be bypassed, so I'd see about setting the HU's LPF to through/off and using just the Amp's LPF.

the LPF is purely a preference setting and some like it higher while other like it lower. A fairly commonly used crossover point is 80Hz however and a pretty decent starting point. Also, what is the HPF set to for your full-range? It should be set at a higher setting than the LPF to reduce overlap. Not many full-range speakers do well below 80Hz off mere HU power, so I'd leave everything below they exclusively for the subs. May want to try setting a HPF at/around 100Hz with the LPF at/around 80Hz. Really though, it's all going to be a trial and error in finding what sounds best to you.

Archived