Sundown Audio

Do I need a recone? I'll tell you everything I know.

Components that count for this question are as follows:

Amp: JBL GTO-751ez

Sub/Box: Sundown SA-8v2 dual 4 ohm in 1.4 cubic feet net @ 33hz

I know the enclosure's too big, especially for the power. That's why I've been GENTLE with it. I've got a lot of amp gain to go UP before it's 'tuned' (a long, long way)-- I tuned it up using the JBL setup cd and then proceeded to crank it way the hell down (to about 1/3rd of where the setup CD put it) because I didn't need any more to get full excursion. Max (tuned) volume at the Head unit is 30 (out of 50). I only rarely break 20...never played full tilt (can't stand the highs anymore past 25, rockfords are loud as hell!)

Anyway, the sub cut out today on the way home. Dual 4 ohm sub is now reading 2.3 ohms and 3.5 ohms on the respective coils. I pulled the sub out of the box, and the coils look fine, as do the tinsels and spider so I'm hesitant to think I did any mechanical damage from the big box, but there's no burnt coil smell either. Actually smells like MDF sawdust and new woofer still. Only a few months old. Checked my connections (first thing I did, actually) and everything's good there.

Anyone have any input?

EDIT: Just measured the coils again. Dead-on 4.7 ohms per coil now. Perfect match. Either my DMM sucks (probably) or I'm a retard.

Edited by rabidbasher

I really need a garage...

Price vs. Performance rules my life!

2013 Chevy :sonic:Hatchback!

Touch the leads of the DMM together to find out the resistance between the leads.

Are you measuring the resistance of the coils with the sub magnet down, cone up, on a level surface?

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Touch the leads of the DMM together to find out the resistance between the leads.

Are you measuring the resistance of the coils with the sub magnet down, cone up, on a level surface?

DMM has 0 measured resistance between the leads.

And yes, magnet down, cone up, level surface. Solid 4.7 ohms per coil now.

I really need a garage...

Price vs. Performance rules my life!

2013 Chevy :sonic:Hatchback!