Sundown Audio

Sundown SA 8 D2 mechanical limits help

Man that's a ass load of power to that sub. Either bring the power down or shrink the box

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

I think thats were my unrealistic expectations comes in. What sounds good to someone is subjective, but to me the sub does not sound as punchy as I would like. I have proved that this takes well over rated power and should be fine with 750-900 watts going to it, its just its not very loud in my garage in the open, or not as much as I thought it would be in the back of the HHR. This is a learning process for me and I appreciate the input.

U got plenty of room in an huge build a t line for that bish.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

750 watts or even a thousand watts is not that much power for the v2

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Well it is definetly to big of box. Playing with torres I input the parameters of this box and the net volume was right at 1 cubic foot and tuning at 28hz. This would have been a good box for a SA 10. I wonder if it is just a mistake on Sundown website because it does not fall into their own recommended box sizes. It could be my math is wrong as I am new to Torres. Any way I decided at this point I would frankenstein this box for testing, or put into the burn pile. I took out the 8" third leg of port and reduced internal volume by adding 2x4 into the inside to take up room. After slopping it to gether with glue and trim nails I put it back on the amp. The smaller internal space is definetly controlling the excursion of the sub and it is handling all the power of the crown amp now no problem. I estimate a net volume of .67 cubic feet tuned to 38hz. Now it just doesnt hit low at as good as it used to so probably something is off with this......grrrr frustrating making a box and it not sounding good. Here is a pic of the added mass to inside of box.

20140627_153244_zps11bf7d0a.jpg

i get .93cuft from sketchup. with 39.75" of port length tuned at 28.77hz.

So yeah, tuned pretty low.

edit: how long are those 2x4's?

Edited by strangeduck

the 2x4 are 9.75" and I put 11 of them in. Also I took out the 3rd 8" short leg of divider that created the port. So I have shortened the port which adds volume to the box. I left that divider inside the box which I calculated @.03 cubic feet of space. So 11 boards at 3.5" x 1.5" x 9.75" plus the 8.5" x.75"x 9.75" port baffle now glued to the inside.

Hey strange duck I see you got drag racing video's up on you youtube page. Im going to NHRA RT66 races today. I love Nitro and tire smoke.

yeah, they are fun.

If you would have left that section of port in and used less filler you would have probably been better off, right now you are at 17.5 " of port per cube which is a lot of port.

I don't know but they may cause you to have a peaky box that has a very high roll off above and below tuning. Maybe put that section of port back in and take out some filler and see if that helps with the unloading. But tuned at 37hz you arent going to play below 30hz very well anyway imo.

ok, I put the box into the HHR. I loaded it into the hatch corner. I figure .61 cubic ft tuned to 41. I was worried about high tuning but it sounds good now. It played the skrillex just fine with authority. I got the "wow" from my friend. Dont know why Sundown put a box build together for single SA 8 at .97 @ 28hz. I guess everything should be double checked before building. Thanks everyone for you help.

20140628_130617_zps064492d5.jpg