Second Skin Audio

Orion hcca 10.2 NEW not sounding good at high volumes

Yeeb

Okay so I'm new here and I need some info. I have an orion hcca 10.2 and a hifonics brutus 1600.1. New. All under two weeks old. I also have an audiopipe cap 6 farad and good alt, battery. The sub recently stopped hitting at high volumes. Not clipping it I'm runnin bass knob a quarter head unit -6 amp about halfway and tuned to the box I have. Could it be the cap is giving the amp a shitting voltage or a voice coil blown because I did smell the woofer a bit when I took it out of the box. But here's a twist. Wired it up to 4 ohms (800rms) and it's working fine. But when I have it at 1 ohm (1600 rms) not even the rms of the sub. The manual for the sub says 2000 rms and when I had it at 1 ohm it would quit hitting hard at high volume. At 1 ohm also the cap voltage dropped below 10 volts without my gauge on my vehicles dropping under 14. Voice coil? Or shitty voltage from cap?

As Orion said most likely clipping. Amp gain at half way, how do you know your not clipping? That just sounds high for a amp gain setting.

Also with that amp, i would say you would be lucky to get 1000 rms clean wattage. That sub is begging for more power.

truthsayer

You really think it could be clipping? when I first got it I could turn it up all the way and the cap would rarely drop below 11v and bottom out at maybe 10.7 on a super hard hitting song. Would an audio shop set my amp with a dd-1? And it's the bass knob on a quarter. I'm amateur by every means. But when I had it at 1 ohm and the amp tuned to the box and bass eq and "level" on my amp tuned about an 1/8th of a turn and the bass knob on my dash all the way down I couldn't tell it was there.

And I'm not 100% or even 75% I'm not clipping it it just seemed unlikely by my settings. But I'm an amateur. First competition grade system. And you guys know more than I so I appreciate any more input! Or ideas on how to fix! :D

Thanks for the input I'll try this, but why would it just now start hitting less at higher volumes if it worked great for about 4 days? And could that interfere with the cap not keeping charge and recharging right?

Archived