the Hair Tricker (trying to trick with a single 18" in a 6th order)

Series 6th order I believe, that's an awesome design man

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

This woofer has four coils with eight terminals. Shouldn't I just slave all amps to the one master and hook one amp per coil?

No, they aren't Fosgate amps. This is old school stuff. Back in the day the idea was to run two pairs of amps on two pairs of coils. Instead of a Quad 2ohm, think of the sub as either a Dual 1 or Dual 4 ohm sub. Which would lend a 1 ohm load per pair of amps (.5ohm each) for burps, and then be able to switch to a four ohm load for daily (2ohm each amp). That sub can't handle the power from all four amps at one ohm in a daily setup, its just not a big enough woofer. Dave at PSI could probably fix that for you though, probably worth sending it to him for a dual 2 or quad 1ohm setup. Just an idea. But that was Audiobahns idea, pair of amps per pair of coils. Two coils wired at 1 ohm for a pair of Master/Slave amps. Each amp would see .5ohm. I don't know if its true, but I was under the impression years ago that when the amps were wired up alone, they would protect at .5ohms. However when wired up Master/Slave that protection was bypassed strictly for burps. I would recone it anyways, its a very stout motor on those drivers and Dave can make anything awesome.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

But seriously though, i would definitely consider reconing to a dual 2 ohm. Get some beefier softparts built for a more daily application. Then you can run two pairs of amps strapped safely at 1ohm each. If memory serves me, I think that driver has hella stiff suspension with a crazy high Fs. Probably not the best low note driver ever built, it was designed to fart numbers. I would also recycle the dust cap to let all the haters know you're repping Audiobahn. lol

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

tuned in!!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

He has his own section on CACO. http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/fix-my-speaker/ There's a sticky'd thread at the top on how to receive service requests.

How to submit a service request:
If you would like to ask questions about the repair or service of your speaker/s, We will need to get a little up front information from you to get things rolling.

It's hard to quote a price, or to even know what to do, without the right information. For things to run smoothly, we'll need a general guideline to follow.

To submit a service request via the forum:
You may either PM me or post a thread in the FixMySpeaker.com Forum

Please include the following information with your request. Please fill out all of the fields that apply, and send as much info as you can. This will only save us time during the process and guarantee that you get the best service possible.

Woofer Brand:
Size:
Model:

Do you have more than one of these subwoofers used in the same installation? If so, how many?
How much power does the/each subwoofer need to handle? (RMS power)
What impedance will you need (Per voice coil)?
The brand, model, and quantity of amplifiers that you'll use?
The impedance at which you plan to run each amplifier?
The type of enclosure that it needs to work in? (Sealed, ported, bandpass?)
The size and tuning of the enclosure that it needs to work in?
The type of music that you'll listen to with it?
Will you be competing with it, or is it a daily usage subwoofer?
Is it for competitions only?
Would you like any special colors? If so, where?
Upgrades of any sort? Direct leads, carbon fiber dustcap, etc?
If you have a budget to keep, what is it?
Any other special instructions or requests?
Where are you located?
Would you like to send your subwoofer to us, or if possible, to have a rebuild kit sent to you?
If you are requesting parts, would you like to purchase glue, shims, or solder to assemble them with?

To make sure that we can take care of your needs as quickly as possible, please make sure to answer any questions that we ask to the best of your ability. The more information that we have, the better and more quickly we can help you.

Please post or send photos of the actual subwoofer so that we can verify the exact motor, frame, and parts spacing. We cannot build drop-in recone kits without first receiving photos of the subwoofer, and sometimes require photos before an exact price quote can be determined.

If you would rather contact us through FixMySpeaker.com:

Please Register for the site first!! Its just as fast as sending the request without registering! Fix My Speaker - Sign Up For an Account

Once you're registered....
Fix My Speaker - Service Request

To contact us by email:

As far as speaker repair, rebuilding, recone kits, or basically anything to do with buying speaker parts or service directly from us, please email us through the website at [email protected]

Once I have received you request, we will contact you via email or PM regarding the matter. We will be in contact ASAP. Just remember that We're actually out putting things together, as well as doing taking care of the internet activities. __________________
-David Moore

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

Ok so I spent some time with my woofer tonight and what me and the SMD IM-SG came up with was; the lowest imp it hit was 1.6 ohms and the Fs landed at just under 60 hz on one coil. I looked at the terms and they told me what I needed to know about how to hook up the amps.

So a load of 1.6 on the 1 and 2 terms means I have a dual 2 ohm woofer right?

23F605CB-09AA-4E20-889F-A96D05430CE0_zps

BE2024FF-0D0F-4DED-8A44-B73383A66DC3_zps

Oh man I love the terminals on those subs! So unique, and probably a tad confusing for some! I think you mean Quad 2 ohm. I'm kind of blown away that you're building 6th orders that actually work but wiring up this driver to these amps is confusing you. No worries though, I'm here to help! Basically for burps you'll wire +1 directly to +2 (parallel) and then connect +1 to the positive terminal on your master amp. Then wire up -1 directly to -2 (parallel) and then connect -1 to positive terminal on slave amp. Also making sure the negatives on both amps are wired directly together. Same thing applies for the other side.

For burps you'll wire +3 directly to +4 (parallel) and then connect +3 to the positive terminal on your master amp (#2). Then wire up -3 directly to -4 (parallel) and then connect -3 to positive terminal on slave amp (#2). Also making sure the negatives on both amps are wired directly together. Wiring this way will deliver a .5 ohm load to each amp (1ohm per pair). That is for burps. If you want to make things easier you can recone to a Dual 2ohm sub. Wiring much the same way, however you'd be wiring two amps to one 2 ohm coil. Which will give a 1ohm load per amp (2ohm per pair) and that would be ideal for maximum power out of your amps to the sub and amplifier reliability. *Disclaimer* These amps will not like running at .5ohm daily, and if your voltage drops at all then you can expect a nice *poof* of smoke. Its for higher frequency burps only. That's why I highly recommend reconing to a dual 2 ohm with daily softparts. Especially if you're trying to achieve a hairtrick. Hairtricks at 50-60 hertz is damn near impossible, which is what this sub will want to play as-is.

But if you want to make it easy you can gain match each amp with a DD1 and CC1 and simply run one amp per coil. Wired directly to 2 ohms, that would lend you the most reliable setup. But if your crossover points aren't perfectly matched on each amp then that sub will burn up eventually. Which happened a lot back in the day. I really wish I was there to help you in person, I would love to play with this equipment. I could have that thing wired up in two seconds. You can strap each amp on there in series for a 2ohm load (4ohm per pair of amps). Here's a couple pictures to help.

Burp wiring

Audiobahn_zps5f61d41c.jpg

Daily wiring

Audiobahn_2_zps7d687835.jpg

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

Archived