Sonic Electronix

Any good amp repair in LA or Orange County California for oldschool amps?

Does anyone know of a good place to repair an amp? The amp is an oldschool PPI pc21400 that my dad used back in the day. There's a few transistors and resistors burnt with a small part of the board being charcoal black. Is it even possible to fix it? I've gone to the cheap shops on 11th street in downtown L.A. and nobody wants to lay hands on it. Is it worth fixing? Can it be fixed? How much should it cost? Should try toI sell it?

04 Audi A6 "currently in the hospital"- American Bass HD12, Soundstream Pic1.1400D, Oldschool RF 2600x running polk db6501 fronts, rear is stock and stock radio.

04 F-250 Reg. Cab (work truck) Polk MM12, Excelon x-5001, HU Pioneer 6200bt

Zed is the best, but fudge! It would cost me $250, I'm just gonna' try to sale it for parts.

04 Audi A6 "currently in the hospital"- American Bass HD12, Soundstream Pic1.1400D, Oldschool RF 2600x running polk db6501 fronts, rear is stock and stock radio.

An amp that came out in 1999 is considered old school? man I'm getting old.

You can spend $250 on that amp for 1400 underrated watts or spend $250 or more on something made today. Either way, you're

gonna spend money. balls back in your court. And when it comes to amp repair you get what you pay for.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

An amp that came out in 1999 is considered old school? man I'm getting old.

You can spend $250 on that amp for 1400 underrated watts or spend $250 or more on something made today. Either way, you're

gonna spend money. balls back in your court. And when it comes to amp repair you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I was hoping I could find a reliable shop that would do it for $150 tops. Oh well...

Stephen Mantz is probably the best guy in the business. About the only thing bad I can say about using him for repairs is that he always has a huge workload and will likely be the longest turnaround time. I'd expect for 250 that would be a full restoration + improvement over what it was originally (and PPI from that era was very nice). The fact that he's only about an hour drive outside LA is even better.

If you want to shop it around, try Db-R in Texas, Ampmedics in Florida, or Sound West in Tacoma, WA. I will vouch for all of them being competent and standing behind their work.

Archived