Sundown Audio

American Bass VFL Amps Same Board DC

BIGlep

Hi so I was looking at a AB VLF 110.1 on craigslist which was their now discontiued 2k. They simply removed that wattage line, they still have the 100.1 and 120.1 etc. I went into researching whether they do rated or not and found some comments saying they don't/are rated at 16v, and some that they have been clamped for more than rated (although brobably improperly in VA not W).

I then realised they use the same exact boards (a common thing) as many well known and renowned manufacturers.

example, a VFL 1100.1

DSCN0665_zpsd22121e1.jpg

a DC 9.0K

DSC_1264_zps1527515f.jpg

the dillemma, the dc is rated at 9000 watts (albiet underrated), and the VFL is rated at 12,500 watts. Is the AB built with THAT much better components or is it just overrated by 30%. Thanks for the responses.

Most the amps out right now are cookie-cutter boards. The components attached to those boards makes the difference. However, you will be hard-pressed to get any of these companies to disclose the particulars in reference to what makes each different or better. Having used both AB and DC, among other similar amps, there is no huge difference between them.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Most the amps out right now are cookie-cutter boards. The components attached to those boards makes the difference. However, you will be hard-pressed to get any of these companies to disclose the particulars in reference to what makes each different or better. Having used both AB and DC, among other similar amps, there is no huge difference between them.

So do you believe that the VFL has the components to do a rated 12500, or is it closer to the DC 9.0k (aka the VFL is overrated). I just don't see how components could turn a board from a 9000 watt amp to a 12000+. Especially since DC is a respected company that would use high quality components to begin with.

So do you believe that the VFL has the components to do a rated 12500, or is it closer to the DC 9.0k (aka the VFL is overrated). I just don't see how components could turn a board from a 9000 watt amp to a 12000+. Especially since DC is a respected company that would use high quality components to begin with.

Internal components could make a difference. That much though? I don't know. The AB can likely be found for cheaper, and I'd bet they perform about the same.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

You're a little late to the party.... check the AB 500.1 next to the DC 5K as well. I believe it's also been pointed out that Sound Qubed and AB woofers are mostly identical as well as another brand which I can't recall the name at the moment.

You'll be hard pressed convincing me that there's going to be any audible difference between any of these carbon copies. Not like AB or DC or any of these companies really invent, design, or engineer anything, they just pay to have their name slapped on something that's mass produced in China or Korea.

If you're buying used get whichever is cheaper, if you're buying new buy whichever you feel will give you better support when and if you ever need to claim on the warranty.

Archived