Sonic Electronix

FOAM subwoofer box, Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, FTW

Thats right, i am building my subwoofer box out of Fiberglass + Foam composite.

I got designs for a box for 2x SQ HDC3 12"s, and it was supposed to be built from 3/4" mdf, and would have weighted over 250 pounds.

HELL NOPE...

Too damn heavy for my lil 2.2 i4 engine...

so....

i am building a boat.

3/4" Pink insulation foam (3 sheets 4'x8') (Yep, from menards, for house insulation)

7.5oz fiberglass cloth (20yards)

2 gallons of Epoxy resin (because vinal and polyester resin eat foam)

5.7oz carbon fiber (2yards)

Now, before the flood of people hating on foam+ fiberglass chime in... if you have not worked with compostie materials then please go try it first, you will be pleasantly surprised :P

Ok, here we go:

I cut my pieces of foam down to the proper sizes for my box, the same as if it was MDF.
Once i had all my pieces cut, i layed up TWO layers of 7.5oz glass (15oz total) and as little epoxy resin as i could.

When that cured, i did the same to the backside.

Holy buckets you have no idea how freaking strong this stuff is!

I am able to support a Diamond d9 12d4 (roughly 30 or so lbs) on a 15.5"x28"x3.75" piece of foam with 30oz of fiberglass, with ~1/16" deflection.
(the 30lb sub was aproximatly 1ft from the table, so 30lb/ft of force caused less than 1/16" deflection)

Assembling the fiberglass pannels is easy as well, i simply epoxyed the joints, and reinforced with 2" fiberglass tape.

Thusfar my box is under 40lbs, and is freaking strong.

The only wood in my box is the front baffle, 3/4" pine, due to me f*** my holes the first time (i needed 11" diameter, i cut 11.25" so none of my screw holes would work), the top and bottom of the inner box (due to my need to have separate assembly pieces, i used 1/4" plywood to hold the inner ports together), and the mounting flanges on the edges of the box (because i cant screw every angle when it is in my trunk)

Videos of this project are posted to my youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/stertheder

So far, in all my two months of searching.. it appears that i am the only person IN THE WORLD to be using a foam subwoofer box....
Plenty of all fiberglass builds, plenty of fiberglassed mdf/plywood, very few carbon fiber/mdf boxes.. but absolutly nobody but me is using foam for my composite! :D one in a million? PSHH... one in a billion? hell no, JUST ME! (unless you know somone else with a foam box?)

Fiberglass foam composite is used heavily in the boat industry, they construct boat hulls with it!
It is also in the aerospace industry, for aircraft wings!
Surfboards are foam/fiberglass!

Very very few pro audio monitor cabs have been made with this technique, and it is quite successfull.

Common "You shouldnt do that because XXXX":

resonance: "the low mass means it will resonate!" Well.. yes... but no... the fs of the box is several hundred htz, due to the low mass pannels, and it doesnt flex due to the stiffness of the composite.

I dont understand why nobody else is doing this.... does anyone hear have any exp? :)

Rough conclusion: Fiberglass/foam composite box is 3x the price, 3x the work, and 1/5th the weight.

People generally don't think outside the box. pun intended

I have been into many hobbies and building radio control airplanes will teach you a lot about improvising and coming up with ways to shave weight off an airplane as you build it, and it will also teach you ways to shape and mold things you never thought were possible.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

post up some pics. and vids. on this site please.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

how big was the original box for 2 12s that it would be 250lbs? one sheet is like 55lbs. so you needed 5 sheets for a box for 2 12s?

i don't understand...

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

how big was the original box for 2 12s that it would be 250lbs? one sheet is like 55lbs. so you needed 5 sheets for a box for 2 12s?

i don't understand...

A sheet of MDF is more like 90lbs. Even with that said, had to be double thickness all around?

Archived