Second Skin Audio

Idea for alpine type R box

I recently purchased a 2007 Volvo S60R and a Silver Alpine type R 12 inch. I was wondering what would be the best way to get very low end Bass. The stock system is plenty good (6, 8 inch subs, 4, 4 inch mids, 4, 1 inch tweets, and a center 4.5) I just wanted some more low end bass to complete it. Not 100% sure what the lowest the stock goes but I can definetly feel and see the car flex with the low note on "put on".

So what is a good way to go about the box. cubic feet, ported, sealed, or bandpass, material?

I do not have an amp yet, but I will as soon as I finalize my plans for a box.

If you need any info for help I will do what I can.

1.7 cubes, a pair of 3 inch ports @ 33hz. Some measurements would be great so we could get you a design.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

You need to give the exact model on the sub, decide on an amp and give maximum dimensions for a box that will fit through the trunk opening.

Alpine SWR-1242D the trunk opening is 18 inch by 48 inch. As far as an amp. I am on a budget so I will see what I can get out of craigslist.

As far as type of box i would only go with a ported box for a type r it will help out the low end and sound good. Make sure to read reviews of the amp before you make a purchase a lot of people who buy first time on craigslist think they are getting a great deal but in reality the amp might be junk.

You need to give the exact model on the sub, decide on an amp and give maximum dimensions for a box that will fit through the trunk opening.

Alpine SWR-1242D the trunk opening is 18 inch by 48 inch. As far as an amp. I am on a budget so I will see what I can get out of craigslist.

Ok so you need a few things, a LOC if your stock system don't have low level outputs (most common), you need that signal source is not severely hi passed to protect the stock woofers that it came with (usually is the case), You need an amp that can source true 600-700W RMS @ 2 ohm, please don't go with a piece of crap brand like BOSS, Pyle or anything like that, if you are really cheap get Hifonics or something at that level to the very least. Test the junk used amp to the death before handing over the cash. Now to the box, easy to build as possible, please pay careful attention at the notes below:

Power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 2 1/2", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

1swr12.jpg

1SFPFno45s_zps74ec662c.jpg

Wow, thanks for the info. I wasnt expecting that detailed of an answer...

I am in the middle of CF wrapping some aluminium parts and de-rattling some door panel parts right now, but will get to the box asap.

Yeah, I know to stay away from boss, pyle, dyamond, and so forth. Are alpine amps any good? I would like to stick with one brand if I could.

specificly the alpine MVR-M500

Archived