Second Skin Audio

Need a lesson in 4th order. Next build possibly?

Hey guys, i've completed my first sub/port forward build in the 2013 Camry and I'm pretty satisfied with it for now. I'm hoping I can get educated a little here for a future build. I would like to learn more about the design and characteristics of a 4th order. My trunk is fully sealed from the cabin right now. I have (2) DSS Ethos 12's on strapped Q2200's. Electrical Mechman 240, and a bank of 3 Autozone Platinum H6 AGM's (210ah combined). 2 runs of 1/0 front to back. No runs of 1/0 negative front to back, but am considering doing it because of voltage drop issue. Want to reinforce all my grounds...

Can someone send me some decent links on how to learn the basics behind a good 4th order design? I understand its a ratio thing, and that's about all I ever get back in answers. Tune to around 45hz and let her go. I would like to get deeper in to the understanding of 4th orders so I can design an enclosure to house the 2 12's and get a little extra output from them. I guess what I don't understand is, how do I design the port to fire into the cabin and go about tuning it correctly? I think for what I'm looking for and going from the very limited knowledge I have, i would be looking for a 1:2 ratio, that way to gain a little more output and keep my frequency range a little more flat for music. This is a daily driver and not a burp vehicle, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance for any advise I can get... I don't mind doing the reading and research, so if someone can point me in the right direction, that will be great. Then hopefully, I can ask more knowledgeable questions in the future...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

id try to hit up clean sierra or kranny...they could def help more than me!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

id try to hit up clean sierra or kranny...they could def help more than me!

Thanks. I will try to send them a PM to see if they mind helping a rookie out. I just need me some edumacation on this subject. Always wanted to build a 4th, but never understood how...

Update on my voltage cuz I know I've been bitching a lot about it. I had some ol' rinky dink battery charger that was reading charged when i would hook my aux batteries up to it. WELL, I bought a new Intelli-Charger yesterday and low and behold, my batteries were at 97%. Doesn't seem like much, but now, where on "White Clouds, Decaf", I was dropping to 11volts, the lowest I've dropped is 12.8! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! From 13.5 to 12.8 on that track isn't bad in my books. Voltage issue figured out! Most other music, even Jeezy, low 13's now... I'm fired up about it. :) :) :)

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

First off the ported section does nothing for your low end output, it determine the point in which the high-end frequency roll-out starts.

Second, ratio doesn't mean crap until you build something to get a baseline on the affects your car will have on your response.

I can post more later, but I am working right now.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

ill keep in touch...ive never built a 4th myself, so ive been doing tons of research and looking around till I feel confident /competent enough to give it a whirl...right now im still lookin around finding good enclosure designs for a nice slot ported box for my trunk. hope kranny or Clean can help ya out!

I grew up in La Porte btw...small world!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

Singer 220 amp alt

ill keep in touch...ive never built a 4th myself, so ive been doing tons of research and looking around till I feel confident /competent enough to give it a whirl...right now im still lookin around finding good enclosure designs for a nice slot ported box for my trunk. hope kranny or Clean can help ya out!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

Singer 220 amp alt

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

Singer 220 amp alt

First off the ported section does nothing for your low end output, it determine the point in which the high-end frequency roll-out starts.

Second, ratio doesn't mean crap until you build something to get a baseline on the affects your car will have on your response.

I can post more later, but I am working right now.

There's two points that I was completely wrong on... So, basically I build one for testing purposes and record the responses. I then tweak that design however many times it takes to get the enclosure to whatever preference i'm looking for (I can see this getting expensive in material costs). Now granted, i am probably over simplifying my last statement, but that's the gist correct? I need to find the resonant frequency of my vehicle and maybe start building an enclosure to peak there?

Also, would you consider the sealed portion to be the most critical portion of the build, to get the desired frequency response I'm looking for? Or does that just determine the db increase of the response? Or, does everything involved hold it's own weight? From what i know (which is basically nothing on a 4th order), I assumed you could cheat the sealed portion of the enclosure and make up the desired loss or gain in frequency response in the ported section? Does that make sense? Or should I just sit back and wait for more responses to come through? :)

2013 Toyota Camry SE

CT Sounds 4000.1D

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

ToolMaker Everywhere

Archived